18 | Tremble

"Could be the changing of the seasons,
But I don't love you anymore."

"It's over."

I blinked, snapping my head up to look at Robin. He stared blankly at his phone, clutched between trembling hands.

"What?" I breathed, eyes widening a fraction. After I had finally managed to convince Robin to tell Alex, he grabbed his phone and typed a short message to send to her.

"Alexandra, it's Robin. Please come back. I need to explain to you the real reason why I broke up with you. I love you, so much. I still do. Please come back so I can speak to you," Robin read aloud quietly before sending the message to her. It was less than five minutes before his phone vibrated to signal an incoming text. I've never seen his eyes light up with anticipation and hope the way it did, before he read the text she sent. After he read the text, his eyes turned dark and glazed. It was a frightening transformation from the happiness reflected in them before.

"It's over," he repeated shakily, his eyes slowly dragging away from the LED screen and making eye contact with me. "She says she doesn't want to come back. She sa-said she's need to move on. She said not to contact her again."

It was as if the breath was knocked right out of me. Robin has to be kidding, right? Alex would never...she wouldn't do something like that.

Robin stared at his phone, taking in the harsh words she sent again and again.

"It's over," he whispered under his breath, his face pulling into a horrible expression of heartbreak. "It's fucking over."

"It can't be-"

"AGHHHHHHHHHH!" Robin suddenly exploded, smashing his phone against the wall in front of him. I jumped when the metal broke into tiny, irreplaceable pieces.

"All of you...all of you said she'd understand," he stuttered, clawing at his hair and face in frustration. His eyes darted around the room madly, as if he was waiting for Alex to jump out from behind the furniture and surprise him.

"Robin," I began, nervously taking a step towards him. "You're hurting yourself."

"You said she'd come back," he cried, bloodshot eyes snapping up to meet mine.

"You said she loves me," Robin continued to wail, completely out of control. Robin collapsed against his bed, his back hunched over in a fit of empty, heaving sobs. He was crying. Robin was crying.

"Why won't she come back?" he asked to no one in particular, eyes wide and filled to the brim with unshed tears. His pale lips trembled, and a lone tear managed to escape from his eyes and fall down his cheek. "Why doesn't she love me anymore?"

"Robin, calm down," I said, reaching out to pat his shoulder. Instead, he let out another short scream and swatted my hand away.

"Don't fucking touch me!" he screamed, his watery eyes regarding me with absolute hatred.

"I'm sorry, Robin. I'm so sorry," I whispered, staring helplessly at him as he sobbed. My heart clenched tightly, and my throat constricted uncomfortably. I watched as he buried his face into his hands, watched as his body shook and crumbled under the blow of heartbreak.