05 | Mason

"With tired eyes and worn out faces,
Darling, I still see you as you are."

"Mari?" Cody said. His voice sounded slightly breathy and surprised. "What are you calling? Is something wrong?"

"No-"

"Oh thank god, I thought something bad happened!" Cody interrupted, his voice filled with relief. My heart twitched slightly, but then I remembered the reason why I called in the first place.

"My car won't start and I have to be somewhere," I said in a rush. "Can you pick me up?"

"I...I can't, Mari. I'm helping Mr Jamisen with the new Track equipment," Cody said softly, his voice adopting a sorry tone.

I closed my eyes shut, squeezing them tightly. Shit.

"It's...fine," I muttered.

"I'm really sorry. I wish I could help," he murmured, and I could imagine him biting his lip while saying that. It was a habit of his whenever he was apologetic.

"Okay," I muttered, cursing silently. Damnit, what do I do now?

"I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Please be safe, if you're going to walk home," he said.

"Yeah," I managed to say, hanging up the phone before he could say anything else.

"Damnit," I whispered, kicking a stray dried leaf on the ground. Today is a terrible day, I concluded darkly. What else? Is someone going to phone me and tell me a distant relative died too?

"Marissa? Why are you still here?"

I turned at the familiar voice, a sharp spike of annoyance jabbing my side. I narrowed my eyes at Yuko. He was the reason why I was stranded in school.

"My car won't start," I muttered reluctantly.

"Oh," he blinked, pushing his glasses that had slid down his nose up with a finger. "Do you need to be somewhere?"

I nodded, pursing my lips. The hospital was a ten minute drive away. If I walked there it would take at least twenty minutes, and in these heels I don't think I can make it there so fast, and what about my car...

"I can drop you off," Yuko offered softly, although his eyes were still guarded. They have been this way every time I was around him ever since we fought last week. I ignored the way it made me feel slightly regretful for saying the things I said. Although I would never admit it, I felt really shitty after saying those things about Alex. I was just too angry and too selfish to see that. And now, I was too prideful to admit it.

"Well?" Yuko probed, blinking impatiently. I snapped out of my reverie and stared at him.

I bit my lip, should I? Do I even have a choice, at this point?

"That would be great, thank you," I murmured, staring at the ground. The asphalt suddenly looked so much more interesting that his deep brown eyes.

I followed him silently to his car, sliding into the passenger seat. My fists clenched and unclenched in a nervous rhythm, and I stared out of the window.

Mason is going to be so angry, I thought miserably. And it's all my stupid fault.

"So, where to?" he asked, as the engine of his car purred to life. Soft baroque music began to play, and I could tell it was one of Bach's violin concertos.

"The hospital," I muttered, staring blankly out of the window. From the corner of my eye, I saw Yuko turn to look at me with his lips pursed.

The ride to the hospital was a silent one, up until Yuko cleared his throat softly and cast me a glance.