Chapter 1

The fresh, cooling breeze blows in the park, filled  copper leaves on the ground. A chestnut haired teen, clad in collared blouse and checkered skirt, above the knees, sat under a magnificent tree. With a HB pencil on her right hand and a sketchbook on her lap, she sketched a curved line on a blank page and connected with a straight line she drew earlier.

A soccer ball flew towards Yaya out of the blue and knocked her head. She jumped in fright, dropping her pencil and sketchbook out of her grasp. 

A raven-haired girl ran towards her and sat next to her, rubbing her bump on her forehead. 

"I'm sorry," she apologised. "I must have kicked too hard."

Yaya faced Myra, who was wiping her sweat with her pink handkerchief. "Its fine, Myra," she assured her. "Just try to be more mindful."

Myra sighed in relief. "Alhamdulillah. I thought I hurt you or something."

"No big deal," she smiled.

Then, she grabbed her lavender backpack next to her and opened it, scrounging for her purse. She flipped her bag upside down and emptied it, only to find packets of sweets, art supplies and novels.

'Where's my wallet,' she thought. 'I swear to Lord Buddha it was here.'

Myra kneeled and searched her bag pocket for her purse, to no avail. "Did you drop it anywhere?" Myra asked.

Yaya shook her head. "No, I put it in my bag, the usual spot."

"What do I do?" she groaned in frustration.

"My money and student ID is in there."

Myra sighed. "I could loan you some money and replace your student ID on the way home. How's that?" 

Yaya nodded and placed her items in her backpack and stood up, dusting her skirt.

They walked leisurely side-to-side around the park, observing their surroundings.

The children around them shrilled happily as they ran around the playground. Rainbow-coloured kites flew in the late afternoon skies and maple leaves dropping from the trees. 

"Beautiful day today," Myra cheered. 

"Yeah, it didn't rain as usual," Yaya replied.

Her head was clouded with doubt. Not only she owed her best friend cash, she has to travelled back to her parents for hours. 
'Mom's going to nag at me for being irresponsible and always daydreaming,' Yaya quivered. 'And then I have to use my savings to buy a purse, and renew my student ID.'

Myra noticed her friend shaking in fear and offered her handkerchief. "Don't worry," reassured Myra. "I'm sure you'll find your purse eventually."

"Who knows," she continued. "God has better plans for you."

Yaya gave a slight smile. "I'll pay you back after I bought myself another purse."

Then, a hazel haired boy bumped into Yaya, causing Yaya to fall on her back. "F***!" she yelled, struggling to get up. Myra kneeled and lifted her from her back. She dusted her clothes and confronted the boy, who was scratching the back of his head.

"Ezekiel Abraham Blythe," she placed her arms on both hips. "You couldn't have killed me."

Ezekiel let out a laugh from his mouth. "Don't be such a drama queen, Missy," he mocked. "Everyone knows falling from a back didn't cause a single death."

"Unless there's a lake behind you and a lack of swimming skills," she bites. 

"Oh please, I can swim better than Michael Phelps," he boasted. 

"Correction, you swam like a giraffe," she sneered. "So stay out of my f****** way."
She flipped her hair and hit his shoulder, leaving Ezekiel a red mark. He hissed in pain and rubbed it slowly to ease it.

"Well at least I didn't take your mermaid purse," Ezekiel blurted. His friend, Callum closed his mouth with both hands quickly. Myra chocked on her water she was drinking from her bottle.

Yaya glared at Ezekiel, like a hungry tiger who saw its prey. He paced like a lightning bolt but Yaya caught his arms and squeezed every joint available.

"How did you know that my purse disappeared?" she growled. Ezekiel rattled, his eyes glanced everywhere, avoiding Yaya's fiery glare.

He bit Yaya's forearms and speed away from her, leaving her igniting the fire inside her. Like a cheetah, she raced Ezekiel around the park, determined. 

His heart beats like a drum as his struggle to catch his breath was more obvious. His head spun like a top, and dropped on the concrete tiles.

Yaya grabbed his collar behind his neck and strangled him. 

"If you want your purse back, why don't you come through me, dumba**," said Ezekiel. Yaya's blood boiled and grabbed her purse but Ezekiel released her grasp from his neck and pushed her on the tiles, scraping her knees.

Yaya's knee began to bleed. She felt her tears on her cheeks, as she blowed on her would softly. "You can't even beat me, no matter how much you tried," taunted Ezekiel.
She stood up, wiping her tears with her filthy palms. She slapped his face and pulled his hair but he yelped even harder. Screaming, Yaya kicked his balls in balls. 
"Y-you don't have to do this. I'll give you back your purse right now," pleaded Ezekiel, showing her purse. "I don't care about the purse anymore," said Yaya, as she kicked his thighs several times.

Two police officers, who happened to pass by, saw Yaya and Ezekiel with bruises and apprehended both of them. "You two are coming with us," said Officer Bryan. Ezekiel saw Officer Bryan and sighed in relief. "Thank goodness you're here. This madwoman is trying to kill me." "Is that so?" inquired Officer Harriet. "Officer, I can give you a really good explanation," defended Yaya.

"You can explain this in the station," said Officer Bryan. Yaya and Ezekiel looked at each other, flustered.