E X H A U S T E D

+ + + + + + + + + +

L i l l y   w a s   e x h a u s t e d, to say the least. Her new schedule was really beginning to get to her. It didn't help that tonight is Friday, so her tiredness is a compilation of all week. Every day she woke bright and early at 4:00 am to get to her first job, as a security guard for the parking structure of a big wig law firm in downtown. Then, driving to Mission for her college class. Then, driving back downtown her second job, as a baker for VONS, which is only minutes from her first job. Finally, ending the night at a guest service training meeting, for her newest job at the baseball stadium. All the while, changing into her various uniforms, and smiling. Don't forget smiling. 

Her informational meeting had just let out, so she lifted her tired body out of the plastic foldable chairs, turned in the survey's, and left with a few of her new co-workers out of the office. Together, they headed to the parking lot designated for employees, ten minutes away. It was said countless times that it is important to travel in packs. Working in the heart of downtown means the homeless population, as well as, the gang violence is at its highest.

As they took their determined stroll through the dimly lite streets, they laughed about stupid things said in the meeting and the lame videos that were supposed to prepare them for emergencies. "If an active shooter comes, I really hope I won't be the girl screaming 'help us' to the shooter!" Angelica joked, mocking the actor. Angelica was quickly becoming one of Lilly's favorite people at the ballpark. She has curly black hair as loud as her, a bright white smile that takes up almost half her face, and seemingly airbrushed mocha skin. Lilly hadn't yet, gotten the chance to truly meet the others she walked with, but Angelica, who is exceedingly more extroverted than Lilly already seemed close to them. 

As the walk progressed, the group of girls grew more silent or perhaps, Lilly was simply growing accustomed to the cheerful hum of the groups' collective voice. She never needed to talk to enjoy herself, especially in the last few years. Simply being was enough for her. 

The group had finally entered the parking lot and were beginning to go their separate ways, calling 'goodbyes' to one another, a few even giving out hugs. Lilly made it to the comfort of her ole' beat up 1990 Legend Acura. She looked at the red paint peeled bucket of bolts with love and quickly unlocked the door. Slipping into the cushy seats, a wave of exhaustion hit her, and she wanted desperately to fall asleep. For a moment, Lilly even contemplated sleeping here for the night, but alas the stories she had heard about the dangers of downtown slowly seeped into her conscious, and her eyes opened wider with each passing thought. 

"No sleep for you," she scolded herself. "Okay. Stay up. Stay up." Lilly repeated, shaking her head. "I am not sleepy," Lilly added with certainty. Turning on her engine, she searched the radio for some music to help her state, and found Love the Way You Lie, by Eminem ft. Rihanna. "Yes," she exclaimed, for she can nail the Eminem parts of this song and knows, for, at least, four minutes she will be wide awake.

Lilly began her drive home. When the song was over she was well onto the highway, and that's when she began to get an uneasy feeling as though someone was watching her. She changed the station in search of another song. Lilly was positive it was simply her imagination playing tricks on her as it had before. Lilly checked the rearview mirror to merge into the next lane, and she found something moving in her backseat. Oh My God! I'm going to die! What should I do? She thought to herself scared out of her mind. Maybe it's a misunderstanding. She reasoned, but her mind disagreed with her instantly.

She was still driving, so she did the only thing she could think of, "Is someone back there?"

There was no answer at first, then a whispered, "Yes." Lilly could tell it was a man's voice, for it was far too low to be a woman's.

+ + + + + + + + + +

To be continued...

Hey, fellow bookworms! I hope you all enjoyed getting to know Lilly! Thank you so much for reading! Feel free to leave a comment below, I would love to hear some feedback. Also, if you liked the chapter, be sure to vote! I update every Monday and depending on demand for the book I may make it Monday and Wednesday. 

Thanks again!

Love you guys!