15: Secret Discovery

Be Bro Strider==>

"Heh, right on time.. I knew you'd be curious about the truth of Sburb and Sgrub.." I smirked, leaning against the doorframe.

"Shut up. We brought Del Taco." Dave wiggled the box in front of me.

"Ooh! Tacos and burritos! Come on in- Oh, is this-"

"Karkat. Karkat Vantas."

I froze. "Did you say Vantas,"

The troll nodded, confused. "Why do you ask?"

"I knew your dad- or.. Ancestor as you trolls say sometimes.. The Signless- Well.. I liked to call him Si. Y'know, just for short.. Damn, I have a looooot to tell the both of you little rascals."

They both sat down on the couch, and I sat across from the two of them. "Where should I start..?"

"The beginning obviously.." Dave sighed, "Why didn't you tell me before that you worked there?"

"I didn't think it was any important anymore.. But now things have changed.. It's time to bring it up again.. You see.." I licked my lips, thinking of what happened all those years ago.

My throat became dry, and words seemed out of reach. Thinking of it just.. It hurt.. "I-I'm sorry.. It's.. It's gonna take me a while.. It's hard to talk about.."

"Bro..?" Dave spoke quietly, taking his glasses off. Red eyes showed a genuinely concerned look. "What happened..?"

Now or never.. And never is a word I don't like..

"I worked for Sburb.. Rose's mom was the Founder.. She was nice of course, and we were actually pretty okay with Sburb. We were creating two different games entirely.. Until I met Si.."

"My Ancestor.." Karkat mumbled.

I nodded, "That's right. I actually met him in a liquor store. He was buying an Arizona tea. Watermelon I believe.." I chuckled. "He didn't have enough money on him, so I happily have him the change he needed. We walked out together, talking about ourselves. I found out he worked for Sgrub. It's when we both accidentally slipped out some information about our game concepts.. We both must have told people. I can't remember much if we did.. He was cool.. Eventually, we started meeting up more and more frequently.. And guess what happened next?"

"You two got together, didn't you? This seems very similar.." Dave looked to Karkat then back to me.

I nodded, "Yes sir, we did." I smiled a bit, remembering him. "Damn, he was a beast in be-"

"I DID NOT NEED TO KNOW THAT!" Karkat covered his ears, turning red.

Dave and I burst out laughing.
Karkat punched his arms. "JUST CONTINUE TELLING US, BUT DON'T GET WEIRD!! JEEZ, NOW I KNOW WHERE DAVE GETS IT FROM!"

"Hey!" Dave pouted.

I rolled my eyes, "Anyways.. Somehow our boss's found out about us.. Then it spread through our coworkers.. It was terrible for a troll and human to be together.. Nobody would talk to you. Everyone would ignore you, harass you.. Hell, my old house was even trashed. That's also how I moved into an apartment.. I told Rose's mom about it, and she only laughed at it. She said I deserved it. You see, she kinda digged me, but who wouldn't? I'm fucking hot! The point is, she hated Si. She hated that I was with him instead of her.."

They were both suddenly closer, interested by the whole story.

"Si came running to me one day, saying how terrible his day was at work. The only one who actually accepted it was Dolorosa, his boss. She was like a mother to him.. He said he quit his job, but even at home, the people harassed him. I let him stay with me. We talked that night about everything. Our fears, secrets, dreams.. Then he said.. 'We can change them you know.. We could convince them that it's okay to love whoever you want.. That's it's okay to live a human if your or troll or vice versa.' Of course, I said they'll never give in to it, but I wanted to help him anyways because.. Well.. I loved him.."

Karkat got teary eyed.

"So we planned to set out the next day in front of everyone. It was funny actually, he looked like he was preaching to everyone. It was quite enjoyable to watch.
In the end.. It didn't work. They rioted. The humans began to break into Sgrub, while the trolls did the same to Sburb. They trashed everything.
I don't know how the rumor of money being involved came around, but that's not true at all.. I never made any deal with Si about money.
Because of the trashing, I was fired.. Since I helped 'cause' it.. Si just wanted me to be safe, so we split our ways.. It was heartbreaking, but it was best for us to be safe and happy knowing the other is alright, right? He found someone else later.."

My smile faded.

"Unfortunately, that didn't cut it.. He was murdered later by some random person who was drunk..
I guess to cover up what really happened, Rose's mom and Dolorosa met to change the story for the future..
The employees at the time were ordered to never discuss it.. So people today don't know the true story.. It's like Animal Farm.. You can alter history and no one will question it since you're the one in charge.

"THAT WAS SO SAD!!!" Karkat sobbed and hugged me tightly. "I HAD NO IDEA!!!!!"

I patted his back.
Dave spoke up, piecing the pieces together. "I'm guessing after that you got with her mom? That's how me and Rose were born?"

"I was never with her in a relationship.. But being drunk one night, I happened to bump into her, and ended up at her house.. Never have sex when you're drunk.."

"Note taken." Dave nodded.

"So that's it?" Karkat pulled away, wiping the tears away. "All this fucking fighting.. Just because you couldn't be with him??"

I nodded and he punched a pillow, very weakly. He started to rant, and I kinda zoned out. I poked Daves shoulder. "Does he do this a lot?"

"Yup. I find it cute how worked up he gets over things though." Dave smiled.
"Heh.. Si was the same way.. Except, Si didn't curse as much as he does.." I laughed.

"Is there any way I could get any newspaper articles about this or something? I've would look online about the companies' past, but the bullshit stories will most likely come up.. Can you give me a hand?"

"Dude. I'm the dude himself. I'll just write all this shit down. You got pure evidence from the source. I also got a couple of pics from back then too.. You should be all set. What for though?"

"To do what you couldn't.. Make things right.." He smirked, a look of determination appearing across his face.

"That's my lil' man.." I ruffled his hair.