12: They Say The Truth Will Set You Free

Be Dave Strider, getting home from work==>

I decided to walk back home instead of having Karkat pick me up. I didn't want to bother him if he was still working.
Rose made me 'work' late.

By that, she kept me to talk about progress with Karkat.

Flipping through pages in a novel, she spoke without looking up to speak directly to me.
"So how is everything going with the troll?"

"Fine I suppose.. He's a good at cuddling-"
"That is not what I meant, David." She flipped to the next page, "I meant with your investigation.."

"Oh.. Uh... I don't know.. He's kinda secretive.. I can't really get into anything he has and he doesn't talk about work much."

"We'll figure something out." She got a bookmark and placed it in the book, closing it. Her eyes finally met mine. "I don't have all the time in the world, although I wish I did.."

"We all can't get what we want.." I mumbled under my breath, rolling my eyes.

"What was that?" She stared into my soul. She's fucking scary at times.

"Uh.. N-Nothing.. I'll give you a report as soon as I can.."

"Excellent."

I hate this.

I hate this.

I hate this.

I hate this.

Did I forget to mention that I'm starting to hate this?

Karkat greeted me when I came home with a hug and kiss.
"Why are you so late?"

"Paperwork.." I half lied.

"Well, I made spaghetti. It's on the stove." He kissed my cheek and walked to the kitchen counters, sitting down in front of his laptop. "I still have some work to do too.. So you can just eat and head to bed.. I'll be here for a while.."

It caught my attention when he said that.

Work.
At home.
Laptop.

He doesn't have to know I'm doing anything.. I can sneak on when he's asleep..

I smiled a bit and walked over, kissing his cheek before getting myself some awesome spaghetti.

I sat on the couch as Karkat worked at the counter.
I watched him from the corner of my eye until I finished my dinner. It was really really good. I love it when he cooks.

"Karkat, how long are you going to be up?"

"I dunno.." He mumbled, typing at the keyboard.

"Okay.. I'll be in the shower.."

"Mhm." He didn't look up.

I did take a shower, and stood in there thinking about how long it'll take before he goes to bed.

When I got out of the shower, he was still there. I had changed into a t-shirt and my boxers. He didn't notice me when I walked up behind him.
Hugging him from behind, I rested my head on his shoulder and kissed his cheek. "How much longer? I wanna go to bed.."