Chapter 11: Before the Performance

Chapter 11

With every passing week, we get closer to the opening night of Don Juan Triumphant. Finally, that night is here. Spike went to the guards that were protecting. “Are you all ready?” he asked them.

The chief police nodded. “Very ready,” he answered.

Spike looked around and then pointed to a few policemen. He then pointed to the orchestra pit. “Do you mind staying down there?” he asked him.

They shook their heads. “Not at all,” they replied.

Octavia was in the pit and shook her head. “No, they will interfere with my instruments!” she ranted.

“I'm sorry,” Spike apologized. “But would you rather have a life lost, or have one of your instruments broken?”

Octavia didn't answer and watched as three policemen got into her pit. She made an annoyed face, but just decided to let it go. Spike looked around the auditorium and smiled. “Let's get ready,” he said.

“I'm here,” a voice says near the back of the opera house. “I'm here,” the voice said on the other side.

Everyone looked around wandering where he really could be. Then a gun shot rang out. Spike looked at the policeman who fired it. “Why did you fire that?” he asked raising his voice. He then calmed himself down. “Only when the time comes.”

The policeman nodded. Then an eerie laugh went all around the opera house. “Tonight, I hate to have to cut the fun short, gentlemen,” he voice said. “Let the audience in! Let my opera begin!”

Spike looked around and took his seat in Box 5. The curtain rose up and it was time for Don Juan Triumphant to start.