"Do I get a lollipop for my cooperation?" He asked after the loud 'click' of the flashlight turning off.

"Maybe in a bit." Doctor Williams smiled as she walked back over to her clipboard, "For now... I need to ask you a few questions... Just to see if you'd be eligible at all for surgery or treatment."

"So it's possible?" Gerard asked, turning his head in the direction of the doctor's voice. I laughed quietly at his growing excitement. There really was hope.

"Yes sir-re!" Doctor Williams turned back to Gerard with a nod. "If it's popsicle it's possible! Never deny a catchy slogan with a positive meaning behind it." She put her hands on the counter behind her and hopped up onto it, quickly crossing her legs after.

"So, how will we know if he's okay for surgery?" I asked, stepping back over to Gerard and taking his hand.

"That's what the questions are for!" The doctor exclaimed, "Let me get started." She began flipping through the papers on her clipboard, but Gerard spoke up quietly.

"What will it cost?.. If it can work?.."

The doctor frowned slightly. "You wanna get straight to the point, hu?" She sighed, "Unfortunately, the prices can rise up to about one hundred thousand easily."

I felt my heart sink. That was a lot of money for a screw up and a blind boy to raise. I had never even seen anywhere near that amount in real life...

"We won't know until we get through the screening questionnaire, however." The doctor reassured, "Let's wait to talk price until we get through that, yea?"

I looked down at the floor. Even if I couldn't afford it, I hoped he would be eligible. I squeezed his hand, earning a tight squeeze back. I smiled at that. If he was happy, I could be too.

"Let's talk, then." Gerard said with confidence, "Find out if I'll be able to see what the future brings."

"Let's." Doctor Williams smiled, pushing some of her bright hair out of her face. "I'll even give you that lollipop after."

---

"A hundred thousand?!" Ray asked in disbelief as I tugged at my short hair. I was pacing our dorm a few days after the appointment.

Gerard was eligible.

It was risky, but possible that his vision could be restored. Unfortunately, with that good news came a cost. Even Gerard was unsure how we could raise the funds.

"What the fuck am I going to do?" I asked, shaking my head. "How can I get anywhere near enough?.."

Ray let out a breath of air, running his hands through his poof of hair. "I mean... There are ways..."

"I could become a bank robber." I considered, "Maybe if I sold my soul I could win the lottery..."

"Frank, no ouija boards again. Last time we did that, I kept getting the chills for a week after. In the middle of summer!"

"I have maybe ten thousand in my savings account that I can't touch 'til I'm twenty one." I sighed, plopping down on my bed in defeat. "That's helpful..."

"Go to the internet!" Ray suggested. He crawled across his bed and grabbed his laptop. He opened it and typed quickly, his fingers flying across the keyboard. "Here!" He turned the screen around and held the computer out to me. "Go fund me! I'm sure people would be willing to help Gerard." He smiled encouragingly.

I reached out and grabbed the laptop, looking over the page. It was a setup page. There was space to type in the goal, a description, and a photo.

"Why would complete strangers help?" I asked, scanning the page.

Ray shrugged. "Because sometimes you need a bit of faith in humanity." He said simply, "Now go try it out."

I bit my lip, continuing to look at the page. I had an idea forming the longer I looked. Why not? What did I have to loose? I took a deep breath and began to slowly type.

The Light Behind His Eyes

Hi. So... This fundraiser is for someone I care extremely deeply about.

He has been blind since a young age, where his vision was lost in a tragic event. Although he can't see, he has never let that stop him.

He creates beautiful art.
He has a beautiful mind.
He is simply beautiful.

But he may never be able to see it, unless we get this money for an eye operation.

This description is probably shit, but I need to help him. I love this boy, and I would do anything for him.
I don't know how to put it into words, but he's shown me so much in this world he can't even see.

I just want to show him in a way that he'll see.

Thanks for your time if it catches your attention

Xofrnk

---

A/N~ I just wanted to say thank you guys that have voted for this book in the fic contest going on rn. I say it a lot but I seriously mean it when I talk about how grateful I am that people enjoy this book (or any of my books) it just means so much to me, so thank you <3

~Skittles Out~