Chapter 2: How I Met Shawn (Part 2)

A few years later...

Camila was twelve. Shawn was eleven.

"Mama, can I go over to Shawn's house today?" Camila asked.

"Sure." she replied,"But be careful, it's night time, and I don't want you to get lost, Mija."

Camila nodded.

Camila made her way over to the door, twisted the knob, and walked down the sidewalk to the Mendes' house. It didn't feel normal.

Shawn was laying on a tree, singing. One thing Shawn and Camila learned about each other, is that they both had a natural talent of singing, but they didn't like to sing together often, as Camila stated it was "awkward."

Camila slowly made her way up the side of the tree, not saying a word.

She came to know he was singing a sad song (Goodbye by Who is Fancy), though Shawn usually sings up-beat and happy songs.

"...Goodbye, goodbye. Losin' my mind. Goodbye.."

 "Shawn?" she whispered?

"Mila..?" he replied, as he turned his head to face the girl, who sat on the tree branch,"Camila I'm-"

"Why are you so sad? Shawn, tell me the bad news." she told the younger boy.

He sighed,"I'm moving to Canada."

"What?!" she yelled,"No!"

She soon started to cry, and tried hiding it, but couldn't.

He tucked her hair behind her ear,"Shh..."

"No, Shawn! You don't understand! You are my only friend! I trusted you, I loved you!" she truthfully cried,"You can't leave me!"

He pulled her into a hug. 

"It's not me. It's my family. My dad found a job in Pickering.."

"Picker- wha?"

"Its a place in-"

"I don't wanna hear it, Shawn." she remarked,"I will never forget you..."

"I love you Mila, and remember when we were little? And I was talking 'bout that girl that was more beautiful than the moon? Remember?" he asked.

"Yeah..."

"It was you." he pulled out of the hug, and kissed her cheek,"I will never forget you Mila and I will always love you."

He tied a necklace around her neck, it was a symbol. It was the sun and moon, kissing. They looked like they would never forget each other.

He left, Camila still crying, confused on what just happened.

The words echoed in her mind,"I will never forget you... I will never forget you.."

*****************************************

She stayed in that tree, paralyzed by what just happened. 

She walked home alone, as her mom, dad and baby sister were already asleep. 

She climbed to the roof, bringing her blanket.

She clutched the necklace, drifting off to sleep.

I will never forget you Mila and I will always love you.

The people who are meant to be in your life will always gravitate back towards you, no matter how far they wander.

(~Unknown)

At least Camila thought.