Chapter 1: How I Met Shawn (Part 1)

"Mila, you have to play with Shawn or else you will have no friends!" Sinuhe bent over and told the toddler.

She peeked at the 5 year old from behind her mom.

"But he's 5 and I'm 6. I'm older than him." she replied.

"That doesn't mean you can't be friends!" the woman replied,"Now, I have to go, so Shawn's mom is gonna take care of you."

Camila stood up on her tippy toes and hugged her mother.

"Bye mama."

"Bye Mija."

Karen waved goodbye to Sinuhe and held Camila's hand.

"Shawn, stay here with Camila. I will go get you two some ice cream." Karen told them, making her way to the ice cream shack.

Shawn nodded.

They stood there awkwardly for about 1 minute.

"So what, we are just gonna stand here?" Shawn asked the older girl.

"Fine." she said as she watched Shawn climb up a tree, sitting on a branch,"Let's get to know each other."

"Shawn Peter Raul Mendes. 5 years old. Born on August 8." he told her.

"Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao. I was born on March 3, 6 years old." she responded,"But just call me Camila."

"That's a pretty name." he told her.

"Not so bad yourself, Mendes." she giggled.

He held out his hand so she would come up.

They spent about 2 hours exchanging secrets, and making silly jokes, while mint chocolate chip ice cream dripped from their chins.

 ****************************************

Shawn and Camila spent almost every day together since then. Two years had passed and they were closer than ever. 

Sometimes her and Shawn liked to lock his room door and sneak up onto the roof, gazing up at the stars, as Camila always had a thing for the moon.

"Look at the moon." Camila whispered, intrigued in the sky as she pointed up,"Have you ever seen anything more beautiful."

Shawn turned his head. 

"Yes, actually." he responded, as Camila turned his head to face him,"There's this girl I know, and she's beautiful, talented, and funny."

He kissed her forehead.

"R-really..? Who..?" she asked, still looking at the stars.

It was really easy to figure out what sounds their were coming in Shawn's room from the roof, but that was only because the window was open, and it was not long until they heard Mrs. Mendes' footsteps coming up to Shawn's room.

They quickly escaped from the roof, climbed into the window, shut it, and unlocked the door.

They crawled into Shawn's bed, and closed their eyes, acting fast asleep.

A beam of light entered his room.

"Goodnight." she whispered to us, but later left, the light escaping the room.

Camila turned to Shawn, and closed her eyes.

She felt someone tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"I love you Mila." he said, his eyes still closed, Camila falling asleep.