Chapter 2. Kitchens

You had nothing to do. Your workstation was still "Decommissioned."

"Well. You wanna go see if Hux needs any help?" Saw asked you and you shrugged.

"Eh you go ahead. I'll go help out in the kitchen." You smiled at her. Her and Hux barely spent any time together and you wanted her to at least have the chance of some alone time. You walked to the kitchen quickly and entered through the service door. Grabbing an apron and gloves you quickly put them on and moved to your old station.

"(Y/N) what are ya doing here?" A thick accent rang out and you almost jumped at its sound.

"Hey Brott." You gave the chubby cook a quick hug. "I'm off my new duties for a while so I figured I'd come help out here." You gave him a smile. It had been almost a year since you'd been working as a cook. You'd applied for officer position and eventually been put into training last year. Soon you had made your way up to where you were today.

"Ah so how's the high life treatin ya lass?" He asked turning to cut some greens. "New promotion workin ya hard eh?" He chuckled and you grabbed a few dishes to wash.

"Its hard. But I do enjoy it. I miss working down here though." You smiled. You'd worked in the kitchen for two and half years before your upgrade. Brott was like a father to you.

"Ah I betcha just miss me don't cha?" He gave you a wink. "So why ya got time off? Did ya mess up?" He asked with a hint of concern in his voice. You shook your head.

"No no. My station was uh. Well it was destroyed." His eyes lit up in understanding.

"Oh so you had a run in with Commander Ren I assume." He clicked his tongue. "Hes a wild one ain't he?" You nodded and chuckled a bit.

"He almost got me in the process too." You said darkly and Brott moved around you to dispose of some stems.

"Ya know (Y/N), that man is sad." You looked at him in confusion. His tone had gone serious and he looked solemn.

"What?" You asked and he turned to look at you. He leaned against the counter and crossed his arms.

"I've learned a lot in my 57 years. You see the same people over and over. I'm a cook (Y/N). I meet everyone on this ship at least once a day to give them their food. Even ole Kylo Ren." You nodded. Commander Ren didn't eat in the dining hall with everyone else. He came and got his food from Brott privately and ate in his own quarters. "He has sadness in his heart." Brott said and you considered his words. Could Kylo Ren not be the angry man you all considered him to be? Was he really just sad?

"How do you know?" You asked and Brott shrugged.

"I just know. There has never been a more lonely soul than that of Kylo Ren." He turned back to wash his hands. "Anyway, enough of that! Tell me about your new job!" You giggled and returned a joyful banter with Brott for the next few hours. You missed the kitchens so much. Finally, after dinner was shoved out for all the officers you grabbed your own meal and an extra. You gave Brott a parting hug and headed up to the main control room.

As you entered you immediately noticed Saw sitting on a control panel. Hux stood very close to her with his hand on her thigh. You blushed and stepped back, embarrassed at your interruption. Saw looked up a noticed your arrival.

"(Y/N)!" She dismounted the panel and ran toward you. "Hey uh." She looked back at Hux who had straightened his coat and had returned to his prim and proper self. "Here let's walk." She lead you to the halls and you handed her the supper.

"Brought you some food." You mumbled and she nodded.

"Thanks. Sorry about that." She gestured back at the control room. "We uh. Don't get much alone time and everybody was out for dinner except for us and Mitaka." You chuckled.

"Don't apologize. I'm glad you're happy. Also do you really have to hide your relationship from everyone now that you aren't his assistant?" At about the same time that you had rose to officer status, Saw had been promoted from Hux's personal assistant. She had never told you straightforward but you were almost positive they had been together even then.

"Snoke does not wish for Hux to be distracted." She sighed. "At least until the resistance is neutralized." You nodded. You both turned into your quarters and sat on the floor to eat.

"Do you love him?" You asked curiously and she smiled. She looked up at the ceiling as if thinking of a memory.

"I do." She chuckled. "Suprisinly I think he does too." Your eyebrows furrowed.

"You think he does? Has he not told you?" She shook her head.

"He has in his own way. He's a very private person." You laughed. It still blew your mind that someone as emotional as Saw was with someone so closed off as Hux.

You spent the rest of the night gossiping with Saw. The two of you had an interesting friendship, but it was strong.