Chapter 14

*Jess's POV*

A few days after the flee market and I still can't get Brody out of my head.

I wake up sweating and practically gasping for air. I turn on my little lap on my night stand, searching for my phone.

"Daryl?"

"Yeah?" He yawns. I know its around two a.m but I ask anyway. "C-can you stay with me?"

I hear him shift around, "Wha's goin' on?"

"I don't wanna be alone Dare, please," I whimper. "Um, alrigh'. I'll be there soon."

I follow the drill, opening my window to allow him in with out my parents knowing.

*Daryl's POV*

I climb through the window, shutting it behind me. Jess shifts in her bed, shaking and breathing heavy, meaning she's sleeping and having another nightmare.

I place one hand on her arm and she pushes me away, "No! No, leave me alone!"

"Its just me.."

Her eyes shoot open, "Daryl?" I nod. She holds her arms out to me like a little kid. I lay down next to her as she buries her body into mine. Her head tucks into my chest and I place my arms around her. Almost instantly, she falls back asleep.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

*Jess's POV*

I wake up, not to heavy breathing, but to a body heating mine. When Daryl is with me, I don't dream about Brody, he makes me feel safe and protected.

His arms pull away and I quickly grab one, "Are ya leavin'?"

He sighs, thinking I had been sleeping still, "Yer dad wakes up in five minutes fer work. He opens yer door every mornin' ta check on ya."

"Bu' he leaves at six twenty," I argue. I stick my bottom lip out, making Daryl shake his head in defeat. He lays on the floor beside my bed. I scooch to the side of the bed he was laying on, dangling my arm off. Our fingers lock together and rest on his chest.

I close my eyes. Not long later, my door creeks open. I wait for the sound of my dads feet thumping down the stairs to reopen my eyes.

With the lack of sleep I've been getting, I don't want to be up, but I also don't want to go back to bed without Daryl. I force myself to keep my eyes open after letting them fall shut a few times.

I drift off, even with my greatest attempts not to.

*Daryl POV*

I hear her dad pull out of the drive. I lightly move Jess over, sliding into the bed next to her. She shivers so I pull her close to me, her back pushing against my chest.

I end up falling asleep myself.

*Jess's Moms POV*

With Jess's door already cracked open, I peek in. It doesn't surprise me when I see Daryl in bed with her. But unlike her father, it doesn't bother me. They both are fully clothed and she's always happier with him.

*Jess's POV*

Finally, its nine, and I feel well rested. Typically my mom won't get up for another couple of hours. Well, until now apparently.

"Mom..I, uh," I glance back at Daryl who gives me a sorry look, like its his fault. "Its okay."

"What?" I ask confused. Did my mom just say its okay that he stayed over. "I know that ya've been having nightmares, and I know that he helps."