Chapter 1. Hero

*Jess's POV*

"Hey, we're gonna get going," Emily slides out of the booth we're sitting in and Amy does the same. "Okay, I'll text ya later." Amy and Emily exit Barney's Burgers. Not wanting to go home just yet, I sit there. People start clearing out and it falls quiet, I can hear the music from the bar next door. I find myself dozing off in my own little world, buzz buzz. I look down at my phone, 9:30 arlarm, better get going so I can home before 10. I put my phone in my back pocket, pulling out my truck keys.

As soon as I get outside, the first thing I notice is two guys hanging around the bar, they were whispering and looking at me. I hear one of them whistle and the other chuckle, jack asses. I throw my sweater in the back seat and hop in my truck. I put the key in the ignition, I turn the key but my truck doesn't start. "Come on." I try again but nothing happens. I step out into the chilly air, I dial my dads number, before I'm able to hit call the phone is knocked out of my hand. I jolt my head up seeing the guy from the bar, "Want a ride, I can take you back to my place." The man winks at me, pushing me against my truck. He puts his finger in my hair and begins to twirl it, "So what do you say, wanna come home with me?" He leans in closer. "Go to hell," I say through clentched teeth. He pushes me against the truck harder, "Wrong answer," He whispers in my ear. Another guy comes from the other side of my truck, the man holding me grips my thighs and puts his face close to mine. "Where gonna have some fun."

"Let 'er go," A gruffy voice orders. He chuckles, "Jim, take care of the hero." The man known as Jim nods. I hear a few fist being thrown but cant see past the man that has me. "I thought I said let 'er go." The same gruffy voice says, but angry this time. He finally takes his eyes off me, looking back at the guy trying to help me. "Huh," he chuckles, "Get lost redneck." I feel his body being pulled from mine, then pushed away from me. The hero steps in front of me.

"Your messing with the wrong guy," The man throws a punch at 'hero' but he dodges it. Quickly, he gets a couple punches in, hitting the man square in the nose the last time. "Go," He growls. The man scrambles to his feet shaking his head, "You'll regret this." He waits to make sure the man leaves, then he turns to me, "Ya alrigh'?" I swollow hard and nod my head, "Thank you." He nods his head at me. "What's yer name?"

"Uh..Daryl." I chuckle a little,"Ya had ta think about it?" He shrugs non-amused, "Needa ride?" I sigh, "Ya. I'm Jess by the way." He points his head in the direction of his truck. I get in the passenger seat and buckle up, Daryl looks at me. "Oh, uh take a left then go straigh." He nods his head and starts the truck, following the directions I gave him. "Yer a good fighter.." I say out of the awkward silence, he shrugs.

Not much of a talker I see. Buzz buzz, I pull my phone out of my pocket,

Can we hangout tomorrow?!? -Emily

I don't know.

Why not? -Emily

Not really in the mood.

"Everythin' okay?" I look over at Daryl, "Yeah, it's just ma friend." Buzz buzz.

Is everything okay? -Emily

Something happened.

What??-Emily

Are you okay??-Emily

Yea, I'm fine some one helped me out.