Sixteen · Hash it Out

Image of Emani (now) in the multimedia.

Summer 1991

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

"Are you ready to go see daddy?" I asked Emani, kneeling down to strap her inside her umbrella stroller.

"Dada!" She exclaimed excitedly.

"What abooout, Uncle Dre?"

"Nooo." She mimicked while shaking her head.

I pouted in a playful manner.

I was aware she was most likely familiar with names, but oblivious to the questions I was asking her which is why I have to continue teaching her.

"Aw, no Dre? What about  Uncle Ren and Uncle Yella?"

By this time her attention span had fell elsewhere.

"Key!" She exclaimed, pointing to the split key ring I had around my finger.

I beamed hearing her say her favorite word.

"Yes 'key', Mani. Good job!" I cheered, pulling her toy keys from her diaper bag and rewarding her with them.

She giggled excitedly, moving the toy keys to and fro just to get a kick out of the jingling sound effect they made.

I stood up and adjusted the straps of her diaper bag and my purse on my shoulder before grabbing a hold of the handles on her stroller.

"Now, let's get you out this heat." I wheeled her towards the entrance of the building.

Before I could even reach for the door handle, someone was already shoving it open. With the force they were using, it was almost as if they were aiming to hit Emani and I wasn't having it, so I boldly spoke up.

"Hey, watch it! You almost hit my daughter!"

"My fault, little momma." A familiar male voice spoke followed by a malicious chuckle.

I glanced up to see none other than Suge Knight with a Cuban cigar in his mouth. He was vacating Ruthless along with Tracy and Dre.

"I-It's fine, just be cautious next time." I stammered, pushing Emani's stroller back and forth.

"I'll do that." He winked causing me to cringe.

To top it all off, Tracy was still giving me the same scowl he's been giving me over these last eight to nine months. The last I recall talking to him was that night at Warren's party. Even after all those supportive hospitals visits made by Eric and I, he never opened his mouth to say 'Thank you'. I didn't fault him though. They way I acted that night was completely irrational. I'd take it back if I knew it'd cost the 4-year friendship we built on solid ground.

"Sup sis?" Dre greeted, taking away from the tension.

"Hey Dre. Leaving so soon? Mani and I were just heading up to pay y'all a surprise visit."

"Yeah, I need to get up outta here." He said suspiciously, his eye darting every which way.

"So, I guess that concludes the arrangements for the Niggaz4Life tour?"

He cleared his throat before speaking up.

"There can't be a tour if there's no N.W.A."

I faked a laugh.

"Get the fuck outta here! What are you sayin', Dre?"

He looked back at Suge and Tracy, signaling for them to wait for him in the car. They respectfully followed his commands and excused themselves from our conversation.

"Look Alex, I'ma tell you straight up like I told E 'cause it'd be wrong if I didn't. Cube was right. It took me awhile to realize that because of how biased and ignorant I was being, and now I feel foolish. This entire time Jerry was legit swiping money right under our noses. We were just too blind to see that because of all the mansions and foreign cars he got us living in. It's a coo' gesture, but fuck that. I got no respect for that man after I've seen with my own two what he's been doing to the group; destroying us. He wanted Cube gone from jump because of how much he knew."

"You tellin' me Eric didn't have anything to say about all this?!"

"Why would he? He's taking Jerry's side even after all the proven evidence I've shown him. I don't mean to be downing my niece's father, but talking to him is like talkin' to a fuckin' brick wall. I'm not gonna keep wasting my time explaining something to him that he doesn't wanna hear, so I'm done with N.W.A. It's time for me to start a new chapter in my life, and hopefully he understands that."

"So, what's from here for Dr. Dre?" I asked with a false smile.

"I'm starting a record label with Suge and D.O.C."

I nodded understandingly, avoiding eye contact with him. I knew if I looked at him I'd break down crying.

"Alex, I don't want you to ever think just because me and E ain't on good terms anymore that you can't depend on me. We always gon' be family, aight?"

"Yeah, I got it." I wiped away the stray tear that was trailing down my cheek.

He pulled me into a tight hug to ensure that everything would be okay.

"I love you sis."

"Love you too, Andre. Be safe."

He wished Emani goodbye before getting inside the red Bentley with Suge and Tracy.