Seven · Play the Fool

Compton, California · Mid-August 1986

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

I sat on the edge of Lloyd's bed listening intently from the upstairs phone line to the conversation he was holding with another woman from the downstairs one.

"Who was there for you, huh?! Who cared?!" The woman seethed.

The line went completely silent for a few seconds.

"I WAS!" She snapped, causing me to flinch. "You know I was, that's why you're not saying anything! I was the only one who cared and took the time out to come see you when ya ass was left to rot inside that cell block for a whole entire year! Not Alex, her family, nor yours!"

"What's your motive, Shaunda?! Why are you pulling all this shit now?!" Lloyd asked.

"My motive is, Lloyd, I'm sick and tired of being used for sex by you! If she's not satisfying you sexually then why are you with her and not me?"

"Alex and I have been together for four years now, I've only known you for two! Now you tell me who knows me better?"

"Obviously me considering the fact that I'm the one that's been bearing your first child over two months!"

Overhearing that she was pregnant was probably one of the last things I wanted to discover, but I wasn't gonna act oblivious to the likelihood of it all.

I gripped the handset of the telephone as hot tears slipped from the brim of my eyes, streamed down my cheeks, and dripped onto my crop hoodie, staining it.

Lloyd's consistent sighing was enough to make me purposely blow up over the phone.

"...Look, how much you need to keep your mouth shut about all this?" He asked.

I cupped my hand over my mouth to stop myself from wailing out loud. I couldn't believe he was willing to put his innocent, unborn child on layaway!

"Money can't buy happiness, Lloyd and it surely will not keep our child from coming into this world seven months from now. You're gonna have to man up sooner than later and find the balls to tell her what's up 'cause I don't know how much longer I can go--"

"I don't need your motivational speeches right now, Shaunda! Just tell me how much!"

"You wanna play dirty and bargain your way out of this whole ordeal for an teenage girl that can give a fuck about your disloyal ass?! Fine! She can have your triflin' behind, I can do better. Just remember, I was there for you when no one else was and what goes around, comes right back around, nigga!"

"What the fuck ever, Shaunda. Can you speed this up? I got things to do."

"I want a thousand dollars by eight o'clock tonight."

"A thousand?! Bitch, you must be out your damn mind!"

"You said name a price, I gave it to you! That just goes to show that I can be careless about the situation too. I'll get even more reckless if I don't receive my money on time. You know how I do. Goodbye, Lloyd. Oh, and tell Alex I said 'Hi'." She giggled maliciously before hanging up.

"THAT STUPID BITCH!" I heard Lloyd rage from downstairs followed by a crash.

I swiftly placed the phone back on the hook before climbing back into bed and pulling the comforter over my head to give off the impression that I was still napping. I could still feel tears building for release and as I layed there weeping silently, I pondered on why I was hiding instead of confronting him about the situation?