Nine · Stood Up

Monday, August 8th, 1988

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

"Help me with this necklace. I don't want my polish to chip." I said to Nicole whom was standing behind me.

Tonight the boys are having an album release party for Straight Outta Compton at Lonzo's club, Eve's After Dark and from what I'm hearing, everyone's gonna be there which gave me even more of a reason to go all out.

"Who you getting all dressed up for?" Nicole asked with a sly smirk on her face as she clasped my onyx necklace around my neck.

"What do you mean? I'm dressed up 'cause I wanna be dressed up. A woman can't get pretty for herself now?" I asked offensively, admiring myself in my old cheval mirror.

I was dressed in a body hugging, dark red dress with a sweetheart neckline and a slit that showed off just the right amount of thigh; nude sheer stockings, and black, multi strap heels.

"I'm not saying that. I mean, Michel'le and I are practically the only ones wearing jeans and sneakers. I just wanted to know why you, outta all people, chose to wear a dress."

"That's the thing, I'm not you or Michel'le, I'm me. Maybe I just wanted to look nice for a special occasion. Get off my back about it, damn!" I sassed, putting in my matching onyx studs.

"If that's the case then why are you getting so offensive about it?" Michel'le asked.

"My point exactly!" Nicole concurred.

First time they agreed about something since we've been out here.

"Because--"

"Isn't it obvious? The day of the barbecue I so happened to overhear her and Eazy having an argument about him not paying her any mind, so maybe since tonight's the first time of them seeing each other since the little incident, she's dressed fancy to gain his attention." Lesley intruded, never taking her eyes from her game of Donkey Kong 3 on her Nintendo Game & Watch.

Nicole and Michel'le started gasping out oohs and ahhs, just feeding off Lesley's... Accuracy?

I looked over my shoulder at Lesley laying across my bed on her back.

"Who asked you?! And what momma tell you about sticking your nose in grown folk business?! Get out my room!"

"Fine! You don't gotta tell me twice," She said, sliding off my bed and walking towards the door. "This hasn't been your bedroom in over two years!"

"Then explain to me why all my shit is still right where I left it?"

Things got real quiet.

"Exactly! Bye Lesley!" I dismissed her by flicking my wrist in her direction.

"Don't get mad at me 'cause you can't handle the truth!" She walked out my bedroom, making sure to slam the door behind her.

I admit, I felt kinda bad afterwards, but she still had no business tuning into Eric and I's conversation that day then just putting it out in the open like that! Don't get me wrong, Nicole and Michel'le are like sisters to me. I just don't want everybody giving input into something that I haven't even found a resolution to my damn self.

"So," Nicole hesitated, clicking her tongue. "Is it true?"

I sighed, throwing my hands up in defense.

"Okay, yes! We did get into a little altercation about him ignoring me that day at the barbecue. When I left town, I thought we were coo', but I guess not 'cause nowadays all he ever does is avoid me and I'm just not used to it is all. I mean, he won't even state the issue..."