Knife Edge - chapter 7

Start from the beginning

****

The giant Dodge truck slowed then stopped a few yards in front of Startz and Holly. Startz was delirious with relief, almost babbling.

The trucker jumped down from his cab. He was a medium built man with close-cropped grey tinged hair. He just said, Hmph, when he came close to Holly.

‘Thank God,’ Startz breathed. ‘We were attacked. They hurt my sister. I’ve got to get her to a hospital.’

The trucker looked down at the prone figure of Holly. Startz was cradling her head in his arms. He started to weep quietly.

‘Reckon we need us an ambulance, mister,’ he said slowly and deliberately. ‘I’ll get on the radio while you get your sister inside the cab. I guess it’s safe to move her. I reckon it’s worth the risk. I’ve got warm dry blankets in back. She don’t look so good. Okay let’s go.’

Startz picked up Holly tenderly but stiffly. His joints had locked and he had to force his legs to move to the rear of the front cab. The trucker opened the cab door to reveal a well organised sleeping and kitchen area complete with blankets and quilts and the lingering smell of recently brewed coffee.

The trucker, who told Startz to call him Joe, helped manoeuvre Holly up into the cab without causing her too much distress. Startz clambered in and made her comfortable.

‘Help yourself to some coffee, pal, while I make some calls,’ he said.

Ella’s bus slowed as it approached the barrier. A state police car had blocked half the road. Lights were blazing from a number of vehicles, including an interstate truck and an ambulance with its rear doors open.

Ella watched from the safety of her seat. The accident had woken up most of the passengers and was providing a well-needed injection of excitement into the trip.

A woman was being stretchered aboard. Ella couldn’t see much of her injuries as the bus inched its way past the road block. She saw a man standing by the stretcher. He looked rough and dishevelled. Despite the grime and dirt he looked somehow oddly familiar. It was tantalising. Ella knew she ought to recognise the man but it wouldn’t click. The poor guy looked at the end of his tether. He’s going to collapse any second, she said to herself.

The bus picked up speed and the passengers settled down to whisper amongst themselves. Eventually, as the excitement wore off,

The lights of a small town eventually approached. With a shock she realised this might be her stop. In her distress she had bought a ticket at random. She could not remember the name of the town she had picked. A shiver of apprehension ran through her. Now was the moment of truth. Outside the now familiar warmth of the bus was another world; one she was going to have to face sooner or later. She saw the town sign approaching. Yellow Springs, population 5,500 flashed the sign in the glare of the lights. She checked her ticket, rummaging in her shoulder bag and disturbing the sleeping woman in the next seat. Sure enough, Yellow Springs it was. It was close to midnight. The place would be asleep. Maybe she could find a room and then tomorrow look for a job. Chances were she would end up sleeping in the bus station or in a doorway.

The bus rolled in. Ella glanced out at the sleepy town. There was no one about. A diner was open, however. She could see a couple of customers sipping coffee. She also saw something that filled her with hope. The sign said, “Waitress Wanted”, as clear as day in hastily scribbled blue ink. Ella experienced a surge of courage. She would go for it. Talk about luck. All she had to do now was get the job. She smiled at the woman in the seat alongside. She glared at Ella as she made room for her to squeeze by. Ella was the only person getting off at Yellow Springs. And there were no passengers waiting to climb on board.