C h a p t e r 3: A cigar

Start from the beginning

Valencia was fixing her hands, fixing the cigar that she took away. She immediately threw it away, scared.

Dylan was breathing heavily, trying not to throw himself on her so he doesn't get killed this time.

Declan advanced and put his hands on Valencia's shoulder, which made her jump. She observed him, his concerned eyes, and his sad expression. She hugged him and tried not to cry. She was drunk, so she couldn't control herself. She started sniffing before falling into his arms.

That different shelter took her like a princess; he walked upstairs to her room.

In the same moment, Zack was questioning his friend about what happened, Declan put Valencia on her bed.

"What happened to you in the past three years, V...?" he whispered while walking away.

"Please stay... I don't want to be alone..." she whispered back, not completely awake.

His heart was melting and he was getting sadder. She seemed fragile, a little girl in need of softness. He didn't want to lose her again.

He held her hands and asked softly, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"I have nothing to talk about. Stop pretending that you care," she snapped. It was a sensitive subject for her, and she would never be ready to talk about it. Plus, she was drunk.

"I didn't do anything wrong so please don't yell at me. I'm trying to help. You look different, V. What happened to you? You were never the kind of girl who can't control herself. You were never a discrete person when it comes to your emotions, you were an open book. And you always knew how to act when something disturbs you. What happened to you there? Tell me, talk to me." She's only been there for less than a week, and he can already notice all of that; what would he find if he stayed more?

She didn't take away her eyes from him. Even if the alcohol was running in her veins, she still felt her chest hurting, her heartbeats.

No wonder why I fell in love with him before.

She advanced to him and stopped at the moment when she was able to listen to his heartbeats, the moment when she could feel his breaths.

She looked up at his eyes; he looked down at hers.

I won't be able to hold this feeling now.

***

"I was holding a cigar, smoking it and having fun with myself. She was dancing like a fish trying to breathe air. Everything was fine until she saw the cigar. She became pale and in a few seconds, she jumped on me, punching and yelling that she'll protect herself and that I won't be able to burn her or hurt her. I wasn't focused so I fell, but when I came back to reality, I stopped her, and I slapped her so she can wake up... And then you guys showed up."

Declan came back after making sure that Valencia was asleep.

"So what do you think, Declan?" Zack asked while pacing in circles. He was anxious about his sister; she was hiding something.

"Huh?" Declan had his head in the clouds since he came back.

"Nothing. I'll call the school that she was attending and the family whom she stayed with; maybe they know something." Zack continued, "For now, let's clean this place. Dylan, I'm sorry for the trouble, you can go home now."

***

Valencia woke with some painful headaches. She walked to her toilet to do her routine, including the 'hide the tattoo' mission.

After that, she walked downstairs to the living room, where she found her brother and Declan sleeping on the floor. Declan was hugging a broom while Zack was using the trash bag as a pillow.

Poor guys; seriously?

She finished the cleaning before waking them. She didn't remember a single thing about what happened, so it wasn't a problem.

She prepared some pancakes for the two men; she was used to staying with no breakfast, even with no lunch or dinner.

Declan came with that sleepy face and when he saw her, he froze in his place.

Didn't she remember anything? She seems normal, after all that happened yesterday, including that tiny thing...

In that moment, both of them didn't know that last night's incident was the start of a mess.

He wished her a good morning and went to the bathroom as if it was his own home. When he came down, she was already leaving the kitchen.

"Um... I made you twopancakes, try to wake up Zack, if he doesn't, you can eat his."

***
So guys do you like it so far?

Here listen to this song