Chapter IV - Unexpected Shift

The next day went by according to plan. Kristoff oversaw the unloading of barrels onto merchant's carts. He took care of all the necessary errands and herded the crew onto the ship from all the surrounding pubs and brothels. In the evening, they loaded the purchased food rations and fresh water supplies and gathered for a briefing. The captain forbade his crew to drink alcohol and swear excessively during the forthcoming voyage, which was met with an understandable disapproval of the sailing brethren. The crew had dispersed to their duties, preparing the ship for sea. When the eastern sky began to turn gray, Miss Von Blitzen arrived on the waterfront in the company a rather short young porter. For all the luggage, she only had a medium-sized trunk. The porter put the trunk on the ground, got some coins from the girl and ran back to the city.

Miss Von Blitzen looked at an inconspicuous, unkempt sloop, swaying softly by one of the inferior wharves and her eyes started to fill with tears. The captain, having watched her for a while could see all hope abandoning her. Kristoff ran down the gangplank and whistled for two sailors to carry the travel trunk aboard. Seeing the horror on her face, he spoke to her reassuringly.

- Do not worry miss. She doesn't look beautiful, but I can assure you, she will do the job better than any other ship in this port would. - He nudged her toward the ship.

Miss Von Blitzen was walking step by step, not able to rely on her legs softened by the sight of the dodgy vessel. She walked up the gangplank and stumbled on the descent onto the main deck. She lost her balance and landed on the broad shoulders of the nearest seaman. The young lady gasped frightened, and the crew burst into laughter. As far as sail-ships' crews went, this was a modest one: the captain, his first mate, one boatswain, four shooters-gunners and only four sailors. It was hard to believe they would be able to master the ship on the high seas.

The bosun blew his whistle and the seafarers rushed to work. Mooring lines were pulled in, the gangplank was dragged aboard, and the ship was pushed away from the waterfront with long oars. The traveller, feeling that she is only in the way of the general onboard bustle, went down to her cabin. For the duration of the cruise, the captain moved to the first officer's, who in turn hung his hammock in the corner usually occupied by the boatswain. Thus, the boatswain, willy-nilly, had to move below the main deck, where simple sailors slept together with the artillerymen, not at all pleased to share their quarters with their superior. The passenger had at her disposal the best cabin on the ship, but at the price of unanimous discontent amongst the crew.

They were already way past the head of the harbour's breakwater when Miss Von Blitzen reappeared on board. The sailors whistled in admiration as soon as they caught sight of her. The noblewoman was quite transformed. She looked nothing like the uncertain and fearful young lady from a good family she had been back on Haaven's waterfront. The plumpness of her cheeks disappeared, along with the protruding teeth and freckles. Gray, cold eyes of a determined and tough woman, emanating power and dangerous sensuality, taxed the crew from underneath a fancy leather hat.

She was wearing a white shirt with puffy sleeves with a heavy, thick leather vest on top. Her braids were replaced by flaming curls. The tight breeches tucked into high, leather boots highlighted her shapely legs. The passenger looked alluring and... dangerous. Her every step, every gesture betrayed that she carried the weapons on her belt not just for show and often had had the opportunity to use them. A rolled up sharpwhip was swaying by the belt on her left hip and a long holster hiding a broad, curved blade was strapped to her right thigh. The ominous weapon was something in between a knife and a cutlass.

The girl, not minding the attention of the crew, went straight to the captain standing at the helm. She stopped beside him and turned towards the bow. "Thunder Led" was going with the wind. The deck was leaning gently towards the rear of the ship. Miss Von Blitzen was standing on a low aft-castle deck, almost equal in height to the main deck, waiting for the reaction of the captain. One had to admit that he kept a cool head ignoring her remarkable transformation and remained focused on leading the ship to the open sea.