Chapter III - Dark Deals

The innkeeper sent his wife a soulful kiss and nodded to let the merchant in. A few moments later they were joined by a short, plump gentleman, unfolding around him an aura of distraction and confusion. He entangled himself in the curtains and upturned the stool on which he was about to sit down. Kristoff and Hans looked at him with a mixture of amazement and amusement. They waited until the newcomer took his place at the table. The innkeeper nodded at the captain signalling he was ready to lead the conversation.

- So, mister, you say you are a "wine" trader? - Using the fact that the burden of the conversation rested upon his friend, Kristoff reached over his head, where an ornamented, painted clay tankard was hanging. He wiped it with his own sleeve and placed it in front of the merchant, who was watching him intently as if looking for support having faced such a perilous question. The captain poured him some beer, for which he received a thankful look. The man took a gulp, wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and uttered an overdue reply.

- No, not really. But then, from what I've heard, gents, the wine you are trying to trade, may prove to be very special indeed. Therefore, it might turn out one does not need too much experience in the wine market to deal with it.

- Indeed, the wine is very special, but you, mister, are somewhat too well-informed and too direct for my taste. And where, if I might ask, is this news being spread? - The sailor gave the newcomer an inquisitive look, casually playing with a dagger pulled out from underneath the table. Small droplets of sweat appeared on the merchant's face. It was obvious that the situation was a new one for him and, just as himself, becoming less and less comfortable. He was as good a conspirator as a sailor is a cavalryman. Possible, but hard to believe. Clumsily, he manoeuvred between words, trying to get to the bottom of the case while not calling a spade a spade, but the captain insisted. Determined not to reveal his sources of information, the merchant, in an act of desperation, changed his tactics to a more aggressive style of negotiation.

- And where, if I might ask, one gives a two stellar bribe for a routine inspection of ordinary wine? - The portly gentleman narrowed his eyes and studied the smuggler. He hit the target.

- I see your point. Let's end the stupid questions and get to business.

- Indeed. Let's agree on less stupid questions and three dozen stellars for the load.

- You, mister, are insolently playing a jest on us. - Hans reached for the pitcher taking back the initiative. Haggling was his role in this partnership. He poured himself another quart before continuing. - The wine is exquisite and worth at least seven and a half dozen stellars.

- And the barrels must have an abundance of knot holes that one can fuck and then save up on whores in a brothel... - The merchant was perhaps awkward and unaccustomed to dark deals, but he was determined to drive a hard bargain. The strangest thing was, that he seemed not only not to know what he was haggling for, but even as if he didn't care. They might as well have been selling wool. He haggled just to haggle. The merchant was just so accustomed to saving every penny. Not what one would have expected from a real drug lord... - Half a hundred stellars and not a penny more.

- Right you are, that one could save up on brothel visits - Kristoff jumped back into the conversation, seeing that his companion had lost his momentum. - Just not because of the knots in the barrels but due to their contents. For the rest of one's life after having tried that wine, one will feel so blissful that shagging will no longer seem worthwhile. Six dozen stellars. - The merchant took a long swig from his cup, poured himself a refill, and took another one. He calculated something in his head and took his time. Finally, after the third long sip, he stomped the empty cup on the table.

- You bargain well and even only for that a proper respect is deserved. Let me, therefore, out of this respect, lose a little to show my good will here. I'll give you five dozen stellars, but now if I hear you even begin to moan, I swear to all the gods I will stand up, go out and shit is what you will get. - He looked hard into their eyes, first one, then the other of his interlocutors. They, in turn, looked uneasily at each other, measuring themselves with the proposal hanging over the table.