«chapter eight: making it work»

Start from the beginning

  "Do you guys do anything fun?" I ask, changing the subject. It was so boring. We didn't have any missions since the stealth mission.

"We are about to watch a movie, it's what we do when we don't have a mission." Batgirl explains walking towards the living room.

  I nod, before I follow her and sit down in one of the free chairs. If I am here, I might as well try and make friends.

Soon everyone was in the tv room, talking amount themselves with smiles on their faces, all seeming really at home with each other. Nightwing is leaning against a wall, in the corner of the room, pretending not to glare at me, which I have to force myself not to glare back. Superboy, M'gann, KF, Artemis, and Batgirl are sitting on the couch. Robin and Cassie, or Wondergirl, are sitting on the floor, along with me. Blue beetle is sitting in a chair. Impulse is in the other.

  Bumblebee and Guardian are on a date. Some of the more open teammates even try to talk to me, telling me their real names. Mostly the kids, but it's a start, right?

She put on a random movie, and we all look to the screen before Nightwing says, "Wait, we just got a mission."

A few of them groan, causing me to smile lightly as we all stand up.

  I walk into the main room with everyone else to find Batman on the screen.

  "Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin, and Catgirl. Meet me in Gotham. Joker attack." And just like that, he was gone.

  Nightwing turns to me, doubt in his voice as he questions," Are you ready to fight the Joker?" This causes the Team to collectively give me a side glance.

  "Of course why wouldn't I be?" I snap, my annoyance tolerance already spent up for the day.

  "Isn't he your uncle, or something?" He raises an eyebrow, his tone mixed with sass and just curiosity.

  "Even if that were true, it wouldn't matter, would it?" I question.

  We all silently went to the Zeta tube. In seconds we were in Gotham.

The Batmobile was parked close by.

  "Robin, Batgirl, get your bikes," Nightwing instructed. "Do you need a ride?" He asked looking towards me.

  "No, I don't need your help," I say, causing him to mutter something about him giving up.

  Even if I did need his help, I wouldn't need a ride. And I definitely wouldn't ride with him. I clicked my belt, sending out the signal to my bike, which pulled up moments later. I walked over and swung my leg around it, readying myself for what is to come.

  I look over at the bat kids. Each one had their own bike. Batman takes off, the bat kids following, then me. "What is Joker doing this time?" I ask through the coms.

  "He is stealing from a lab in Gotham. Harley is with him." Batman informs us, but I had a feeling the last part was aimed at me.

  I tensed. Did I really have to fight her?
" Anyone else?" I asked hesitantly.

  "Are you sure you don't know anything about this?" Nightwing asked. I can't believe he still Thanks that I actually am playing them all. I didn't even want to be on the stupid team.

  "No, Harley barely comes around now. Joker won't let her. He thinks I would use Harley for information." I say, trying to keep a monotone voice, but I was painfully aware that they probably still heard the hint of sadness in my tone. "So, even if she did want to tell me, she couldn't." I finish off.

  "So, if she did tell you, would you give the information to the team?" Nightwing asks, his tone making the innocent question seem snarky instead.