[18] Limerence

Over the years I'd worked for The Greenery we as a household had stored away a great deal of money. Each body on its own could gain us a fair income for anyone to live on. Due to this, I wasn't entirely emotional about being kicked out of the organisation; I'd made my deals, created my money, and now I could feel free to kill for pleasure once more. It'd been an entire month since Alexander had said his goodbye; we'd received a few visits to the house; fortunately, our cleaning was very fruitful - there wasn't a trace of death in it. I'd spent the majority of my time asleep, I had very little to do and barely noticed what was taking place around me. I'd gone out a few times with Owen, and he'd been just as charming and interesting as previous encounters which were more so troubling than anything else.

One morning I had taken the time to fix my hair, dress up and walk downstairs; it wasn't a common occurrence lately, and Diana had jumped at the chance to talk with me. We found ourselves in the sitting room, drinking tea and reading newspapers; not exactly the most exciting day I'd had, but it was comforting, it gave me a chance to understand what was going on in the town. There'd been an increase in death since my departure - evidently, The Greenery had pushed all of their other income into coming up with the loss of goods. Unluckily for them, their other incomes didn't have the patience for a long-term commitment.

Diana had dropped the paper long ago and was staring into the fireplace. She seemed lost in thought, and I hardly wished to interrupt her; she'd been distant for the month. Florence had stayed in her room for most of the day and would go for walks at night; I saw the appeal in it for her; she liked to be alone increasingly so. I had become worrisome for her - she hadn't exactly walked to this point, she'd leapt. She had come into this household as a kitten, and in one night, I had turned her into a lion, and her mind was still warping.

"He's coming back, Angelina." Diana murmurs, I nearly ignore the statement altogether, honestly believing it was part of some common small talk. I clear my throat and settle the paper on my lap, I had grown bored of the odd reality new stories of sleeping with your husband's boyfriend, and the increasingly occurring murder stories because there were very few that knew how to dispose of a body properly. I raise my eyebrow towards her, hinting for her to either continue or be more specific in her statements, "I asked Luke to come back."

"Am I meant to be overjoyed?" I say as I try to collect my thoughts on the matter. I couldn't understand how I felt, not really. I loved Luke, of course, but he left me at the worst possible moment and expected me to be completely content with it. Not only that, but he managed to sway my sister of all people to go off with him. Her infatuation with him was going to cause me more problems than Diana's at this point.

"You need him, Angelina." She thinks, and it wasn't entirely true, but not entirely false. I could get by alone; I could make a perfectly reasonable case for this - but I did need him in the emotional sense. He was the only true grounding I'd ever had, and the only comfort I'd been given. Plus Luke was the only one close enough to my level that I could confide in him - even Diana had believed I was insane at some point, Cleo also did, just for less time. Luke didn't yell at me, scream, cry or anything of the sort.

"Is that so?" I sneer, regardless of my actual feelings, I didn't want him here. I was stubborn at the end of it all and would not back into a corner because Luke and Diana feel they can lead me by a string.

"You can't possibly be mad at him; he didn't do anything!" She says, and I can hear the slight raising of her voice. It's not by much, just audibly enough where I can feel she's angry at me.

"I wasn't aware I was mad at him," I state. I indeed found it perfectly reasonable that Luke would wish to leave, he'd never been happy with The Greenery, and so I couldn't really be mad at him for leaving me in the first place - what I was, more so than anything, was heartbroken, and that caused an entirely different type of pain for me.