[9] Panacea

When I'd made my way out of the room, Jonathan had shot me a genuine smile, and I would have returned this if I wasn't on edge with my previous discussion. As I was leaving, I lingered in the doorway of the establishment, taking in the hooting and hollering coming from the main room, and then the giggling that travelled through the walls from the girls that we're slaves to the establishment - this was something I'd always had to bite my tongue about. It was an understanding we'd come to recognise; I'd get perfect cover and aid when I was in need of it, and I wouldn't question or attack their motives and actions.

It was bitterly cold outside, far more than I'd expected. For it being early December, the last few nights had been rather mild. Dusk was fast approaching, and something in the air gave the impression that snow would be expected rather soon. I had parked the car a couple of streets away, as much as I was unknown in this town I wouldn't appreciate the reputation of attending strip clubs in my spare time - the more people talk of you, the more attention you garner from strangers and newcomers in the town. The more attention you have, the more eyes you have on you, and this meant being nicer, idle chit-chat, frequent public outings to appease and fit in; the things I'd left behind in the life tarnished by men and their flaws.

This part of town was quiet; it had always been quiet. Those that lived here were usually part of the underground market. If not, they didn't have the funds to leave and stayed locked up inside. The houses and apartments in the area, however, were rather pleasing to anyone; they were Victorian style for the most part and were well looked after by the council in charge of them. They even had window balconies with bright, colourful pots of flowers; but any town resident would be able to tell you this was all a facade to hide the darkness.

It had amused me at first, that for a town that had an extensive police force, it was rather easy to pull the wool over their eyes and get away with murder, theft, rape; any crime under the law. At this point, I'd have to believe someone high up was being bribed to stay quiet and only gave the forces work when forced to.

While walking through the area, I'd found it difficult not to feel slightly terrified of being alone - normally on outings to The Greenery, which was a rare occasion that I genuinely dreaded, Luke would accompany me. He would escort me from the car to the building and would sit in the stripping area for the duration of the meeting. My general disgust for the company and building seemed to be unknown to them as there were frequent invitations to get together evenings and meetings.

I sped up my pace on the journey to my car solely because wandering the streets here was foolish regardless of how well-known you were - especially as a female. There were constant sounds of car tires screeching, men jeering in the distance and heels clicking quickly against the concrete - these all unsettled me greatly. The idea of being taken wasn't exactly a promising one, and I wasn't sure if the fact other women felt this way was comforting or more worrisome that I was correct in my assumptions.

"Ma'am," I had heard called out from behind me. I turn around to see a tall man approaching me. My first instinct was to run away from him, but some part of me deep inside was curious to see how this would turn out. He stopped a few steps away from me, able to see how nervous I was of him.

"You dropped this," He nodded towards the keys in his hand, and I dropped my eyes to look down at my open purse, which would have let things drop on my rush to my car. I nod towards him and take them from his grasp.

"Thank you for that. I would never have noticed." I replied sincerely and turned to leave; I didn't need to be caught in the cold because a man had expressed kindness once in my life.

"No problem," He had chirped.

After this, I believed our conversation was over, and I could leave freely, but a few moments later he had called out, "Though, while I have you here - is there any reason a nice girl like you was in such an obscene establishment, ma'am?" I had mentally kicked myself for allowing myself to be caught leaving the club, but my eyes drifted down to see that his coat was slightly open, and a police badge was strapped to his belt. I shake my head slowly and clear my throat.