Chapter 2 - A Reason To Worry

Start from the beginning

"Does it really matter why? It's done."

Anger flashed in Zarah's eyes and Leah felt a stab of regret. Every time she acted up, Zarah hammered her with questions, and it was always the same diversions and excuses that slipped from Leah's mouth. She was tired of their taste.

"Of course, it matters," Zarah yelled and Leah glanced at the bedroom door nervously.

"You could have burnt down the school! It could've spread to the houses." Zarah's words were even louder now, jumbled together. "If it wasn't for that call alerting the fire station, it probably would've."

"If it makes you feel better," Leah interrupted, "I was the one who made the call."

That stopped whatever speech Zarah was about to make and Leah stared determinedly out the window, refusing to meet her gaze. She knew she sounded crazy, knew that none of this made sense.

"Why did you do it, Leah?" Zarah asked. "Seriously, tell me the truth."

Leah bit down on her lip, not easing until she could taste blood. "I did it because I had to."

Zarah looked at her. "You had to?"

Leah glanced away. There were too many things she could never tell Zarah, things she didn't even understand herself. I run on a different wavelength, she wanted to say.

"I just... I'm wrong here," Leah said lamely.

Zarah raised a questioning eyebrow. "You decided to set the town alight because you feel wrong?"

"Yes! I mean, no, not really." Leah trailed off, biting down on her lip.

Zarah's disappointment and anger were stealing her words before they even formed.

"Are you going to tell anyone?" Leah asked quietly.

Zarah let out a frustrated sigh and ran a hand through her hair. "You know I won't."

After a moment of silence, Zarah stood.

"You should come to Roy's Pub tonight," she said, her voice tense. "Everyone's going because school's been cancelled tomorrow. It'd be weird if you didn't show."

Leah nodded and Zarah's features softened slightly; not with forgiveness, but with tolerance. It was the look of someone who knew they were being lied to, but were willing to stick around for when the truth finally slipped out.

It wasn't going to.

"I'll meet you there at seven," Zarah said.

"Yeah, sure."

When Zarah left, Leah felt her whole body exhale. She slumped into her computer chair, ignoring the greasy jacket against her back, and slid her desk draw open, eyeing the USBs inside. There were 47. She'd counted last night. The footage was surely on one of them, but she didn't have time to check.

Leah pulled on her swimmers and stuffed her backpack with the ruined clothes and USBs. Then, she climbed out the window and scaled down the tree outside, unwilling to use the stairs and risk a run in with Brenton.

With a quick glance to ensure neither of her adopted parents were looking out the kitchen window, Leah crept across the lawn and made her way to the beach. She needed solitude and space, and most importantly, a place to dump shit she didn't want found. Luckily, there were few places in Narra so deserted.

Leah had heard all the ghost stories, the tales of whirlpools just past the horizon that led to another world; a world of heat and fire, and infinite pain. Even though the myths were dismissed from the safety of land, few ventured near the beach. Which suited Leah just fine.

Leah darted across the road and took the bush track, her backpack bumping against her shoulders. Eucalyptus leaves crunched under her feet as she made her way down the slope and onto the beach.

She dumped her bag by the shore and grabbed a handful of USBs before wadding into a rip and letting it pull her straight out into the ocean. The water was cool as it dragged her beyond the breakers and into calmer, deeper water. Only once the rip ebbed, did she drop her handful. She ducked her head under and watched the USBs fall through the water column, floating away like confetti.

There was something oddly beautiful about the sight, and Leah hurried ashore to repeat the process. After three more trips, her bag was empty, and for the first time since she'd seen that silhouette, she felt slightly hopeful.

...

"Alice?" Leah called, shutting the front door and wiping sand onto the welcome mat. Sarah Blasko was playing from the front room and the smell of roast pumpkin wafted through the house.

"In here, honey."

The voice came from the kitchen.

Leah made her way there, stomach growling in anticipation. She turned the corner and found Alice at the counter, kneading dough as freshly cooked pumpkin soup boiled on the stove. Her brown hair was in a bun, loose strands dangling around her face.

"Smells good," Leah said, grabbing a spoon and dipping it into the soup before Alice could protest.

Alice gave her a stern look, but turned away to keep kneading.

"Where did you go this morning?"

Leah jumped up onto the counter and sipped her small portion. "I just went for a swim. I'm going out tonight too, by the way. Everyone's going to the Pub."

"Has everyone forgotten they have school tomorrow morning?" Alice asked.

"I don't think schools going to be on," Leah said, her tone casual. "Zarah said there was a fire."

Alice's head jerked up. "What? A bad one?"

"I don't know. She just told me it's been cancelled and everyone's going out to celebrate."

Alice's brow had creased in concern. "That's hardly something to celebrate."

Leah snorted. "Speak for yourself."

Alice stopped kneading and turned to Leah, a floury hand poised on her hip. "I suppose asking you not to drink tonight would be a wasted effort?"

"Most definitely."

Alice sighed. "Be careful, please. You know how I feel about it. If you lost control —"

"Alice?" Brenton's voice cut her off, travelling towards them from deeper in the house.

"I'm in the kitchen!"

Leah hopped off the counter quickly and gave Alice a peck on the cheek. "That's my cue to leave."

Alice looked slightly distressed. "You don't have to go, you know you can stay."

Leah shrugged. "But it's easier if I don't. We both know it."

"But –"

"See you later, Alice," Leah called, already out the door.