✙ Chapter 10 ✙

Start from the beginning

Katie forced a smile at me. "Yeah, I have some magazines we can flip through - " she held up three magazines, which were all about dieting. "- and, I have some lemonade we can drink." She gestured towards the small, porch table beside her where four empty glasses rested and a pitcher of strawberry lemonade.

I looked at Drew. "You've got be kidding me."

"I won't be long," he said, stepping away. "I just need to make a few calls."

"About what?"

"It's none of your concern."

"Oh, look who is keeping secrets now."

He hesitated. "Just behave."

"I make no promises."

Frustrated, he shook his head, before looking towards his Beta. Cole released a puff of smoke, watching as it disappeared in swirls. "Keep an eye on her - don't let her escape and make sure Reece doesn't get anywhere near her."

I leaned forward. "Why does that name sound familiar?"

"Gotcha," Cole responded, glancing towards me with narrowed eyes. Drew watched him for a long moment, almost as if he was debating in his head whether or not to trust him. But, then, he glanced over his shoulder at Hulk and nodded to himself, seeming to push away any hesitation about leaving them alone with me. Drew looked at me, his blue eyes wide and filled with an emotion that I couldn't quite place. Inhaling loudly, he turned and walked back into the house, running his fingers through his hair. Still struck in shock that he had handcuffed me to a chair, I decided to slouch, becoming comfortable. Cole played with the cigarette between his fingers, before speaking, "Reece is the one who attacked you in the hallway."

My mind flashed back to the memory; after my first attempt from jumping off a balcony, in which Drew had caught me, I had been limping down the hallway when the werewolf, Reece, had appeared. I remembered his auburn hair and dark eyes that held enough anger to create an earthquake. He ended up fighting against his Alpha, Drew, and throwing me down the hallway, as easily as a baseball. "Oh, him," I mumbled, relaxing. "I think I pissed him off."

"You killed his mate," Katie blurted, looking at me. "He's going through a hard time."

"Don't worry, his mate was a complete bitch," Cole said, before taking another drag of his cigarette. "She always whined and started fights with other girls in the pack over stupid things. I don't miss her at all - I'm glad she's gone."

Katie gasped. "Cole!"

He frowned. "What? You can't honestly tell me that you liked her. . ." Katie hesitated, biting her bottom lip in guilt.

"A lot of people didn't like her, but they're not gloating about her death," Hulk blurted, taking a step forward. "Death isn't something to gloat about."

"Exactly!" Katie said, pointing up at her mate, grinning. Cole rolled his eyes and took another drag of his cigarette as Hulk crushed his lips against his mate's. Disgusted, I looked away from them as Cole began speaking again. "Whatever - I'm just saying, she wasn't a very likeable person."

Tucking a loose strand of her hair behind her ear, Katie picked up an empty glass and grabbed the pitcher beside her. Then, slowly, she poured herself some pink lemonade. I watched as she took a sip and closed her eyes, savoring the sweet taste. She turned her head, looking at me with her brown eyes. "Hey, you want some?"

Truthfully, I wanted some; I was thirsty and my taste-buds were jumping up and down for just a sip. But, instead, I shook my head, pressing my lips firmly together. "I want some," Hulk grumbled, reaching forward and snatching an empty glass. Katie handed him the half-empty pitcher and he poured himself some lemonade, instantly bringing it to his mouth. I swear, after two gulps, there wasn't even half left. With multiple thoughts running through my head, I looked back towards Cole who was squishing his cigarette on the ground with his shoe, pulling out a new one.