36. Unreadable Minds

Start from the beginning

Antonio smiled " Maybe winning is something I already have achieved. Your turn."

Emanuelle turned to stare at the billiard table. He lifted his billiard stick and took aim at another ball as he spoke " Canavaro's are strange people to tie yourself too. At any one time only one male heir survives, it seems. Isn't that strange? I say they can't protect their own. So you really want to be tied to Georgina. Huh?" He then hit a ball.

Antonio stood behind him whispering " Yet you score again. I think only one male heir is surviving your line too at the moment. Don't you think?"

Emanuelle turned to Antonio " My wife is carrying a child, a son perhaps. I could be even blessed with even more children soon. So no. I don't follow what you say."

Antonio pretended to look regretful " Oh. My mistake. I almost forgot you are having a baby together. When did you get the chance to do so by the way. From what I hear, all you did was argue. But again saving a marriage is worth fighting for and what would be better than having a child together. It's such a convincing reason to stay married. Sealing the deal with a baby so Sancia doesn't get the chance to sign divorce papers when the ink on your marriage certificate is not even dry."

Emanuelle laughed bitterly " At least I know my wife is pregnant unlike your father who was clueless at the time his wife left him that she was expecting. Or was it because he didn't want her that he let her go and she knew all along she was pregnant?"

Antonio's expression hardened " Don't mention my mother."

Costanzo was now standing behind Antonio looking on worriedly. He knew if Antonio lost it, then it could have consequences with the alliance. O'Neil was an unarmed guest at the mansion. He was not to be harmed. Antonio unfortunately acted violently when anyone except a rosario mentioned his mother or insulted his father. He took initiative and cleared his throat " Anyone wants some wine?"

It was Francesco's voice that answered " Five glasses Costanzo. But that would be at the dinner table."

Everyone turned to the door looking at Francesco who was standing next to his fiancé.

Adele smiled " Hello."

It was Emanuelle who reacted first. His eyes lit up as he walked around the billiard table to Adele " Hello Lady Rosario. I was looking forward to meeting the woman who has captured Francesco's heart. What a great pleasure to meet you." He then offered his hand to Adele as he stood in front of her and Francesco.

Adele shook his hand as Francesco's grip on her other hand tightened. She let go quickly.

Emanuelle looked at Francesco " She looks a little bit like her twin brother Angelo. Especially their eyes." He then turned to Adele with a smile " Isn't your brother joining us? I like him already. When I interrogated the men on the ship he was held at I heard he hadn't disclosed anything useful to Voltolini. He must be a loyal one to keep in all the information that surely he must know as a close relative. I envy the fact that he is a doctor as well as a good actor who fooled Voltolini in captivity that he hardly knows anything. Can I meet him again tonight?"

Adele quickly looked at Francesco for answer. Her body had gone cold suddenly. It was as though someone had thrown a bucket of ice on her and her hands started to shake slightly. Antonio and Costanzo looked on with worry at Francesco's response regarding Angelo. He was a sore topic. What if Francesco lost control?

Francesco gave Adele's hand a squeeze " Angelo is unavailable right now. Ask me another time O'Neil to see him...."

Emanuelle insisted " I want to meet him maybe mostly based on business. Come on. We are allies. We share our resources and expertise. Obviously this guy is qualified and loyal. Can I ask him to be Sancia's doctor and deliver our baby?"