Chapter Nine

It was midway through May, a week after the engagement had been announced. The ring fit Lucy's finger better. She wore it better. She wore it with pride. Though it was still large and bulky, she liked it better. It fit her personality more.

The young couple exited the black and sleek car, Lucy first, since women never slid. Lucy had a lot of practice, keeping her knees together as swung her feet out. During the days, she had "princess" training, and the teacher could've been called strict. There times where Lucy wanted to yell at the woman for being so stuff, but she bit her lip and did it over again. Lucy practiced getting out of cars a lot, finding it to be difficult. It was more comfortable to step out one foot at a time, but that was how pictures of your vagina ended up on the front pages of tabloids. Lucy didn't want that; actually, no one wanted that.

Lucy waited outside the car for Harry, and he exited too. He automatically held out his arm for Lucy, and she took it. The door shut behind them. Simon and Robert, being Harry's bodyguards were closest, watching the crowds. Tony hung back by the car but always within twenty feet as they walked on. Simon and Robert weren't in the way but they stayed close. Apparently teenage girls got rowdy at these public events.

The signs were different now. Instead of the used to be signs of I Want to Marry Prince Harry or Marry Me, they had been replaced by sad signs from girls mourning the end of Prince Harry's single life. People still chased after William, even though he had a wife and children. It would take a few day for people to mourn his passing single life, but the girls would come back around. People would soon enough screaming for Harry again, blushing and giggling.

During the event, girls giggled because of Harry's charm. Easily, their faces blushed pink. Harry told a few more jokes. Lucy moved down the line, and there were some small children. She talked to them, as they gave her flowers. She immediately took them gratefully. Lucy put her knees together and bent down, and she had a nice conversation together.

Behind Lucy, Tony hovered closely, three feet back. Harry's bodyguards at least stood five feet back. It wasn't that Lucy didn't like Tony-- he was great-- but she could do this by herself. She was a big girl. Tony only meant to do his job, which was to protect her. Lucy glanced back, and he smiled at her. She turned back to the small children.

Harry rejoined Lucy as they moved down the line. At the end of the line stood a historical centre, which Harry and Lucy meant to visit. There wasn't a set time table on the event. The mayor of the town waited patiently outside the doors. Harry and Lucy eventually made it down the line and then went inside the small centre.

After the visit to the small town, Harry and Lucy were loaded up into the car again, with Simon in the front seat, and Tony and Robert following behind them. Harry continued to hold Lucy's hand as they rode.

"You did well today," Harry commented.

"Thank you." Lucy peeled her gaze away and brought it back to him. She even gave him a soft smile. "You did well, like always."

He smiled. "Luce, I know this will be hard to get used to and it's going to take time. Please just promise to give it time."

"I do promise."

Harry kissed her hand, and they settled into the seats for the drive back to London.

Night fell by the time they reached London, and food had been left out by the chef for Harry and Lucy. Bidding them a good night, the three bodyguards left. Robert and Simon would be back in the early morning for Harry, who had a breakfast with a rugby club in the morning. Tony would visit Lucy during the day. Since their trip into London, Tony had spent most days with Lucy, even if she didn't have an event. Perhaps they had never grown on each other.