Chapter Seven

The next morning, Harry was gone when Lucy woke up. Since getting engaged, there had been many of these days, him already gone. They happened before but seemed stronger now. Also since getting engaged, Lucy had been doing more behind the scenes work with more refugees charities. Though most refugees were settled into their new homes, they still needed to grow in the environment, which was the next step. With no appointments today, Gwen wasn't found but neither was Siobhan, who apparently was taking a personal day for the first time in her life, not that Lucy could complain.

Throwing on a t-shirt, hat and jeans, Lucy had enough of a disguise to be in the public easily. In Lucy's mind, getting out of the apartment was easily, but getting out of Kensington Palace was the difficult part. Getting in would've gotten her into trouble, but all was necessary when freedom was on the line. Lucy glanced down at her left hand, where it was one of the first days she didn't wear her engagement ring. It was unusual now not to have it on; she almost felt bare.

Lucy skipped down the steps and skidded to a halt when Mister Tony Ackerly stood in front of her, drinking tea, as if he had been waiting for her. "Planning on going somewhere, Miss Smith?" He sounded too pleased. For the one week that they had known each other, he appeared to know a lot about her when she knew nothing about him. He had an extensive file on her, apparently, and he was smart. Tony knew too much about her.

"Hello, and yes."

He sipped his tea. "I didn't realize you had any events today." Tony took another sip.

"You could stop being so British," she complained, "and I am going out."

Tony put the teacup down. "Where are we headed?"

Lucy shook her head. "I'm going alone."

"No, ma'am."

"Yes."

"No, ma'am. I am your bodyguard, so where are we going?" he asked. "Shall I have a car brought around?"

"No."

"No, ma'am?" Tony smirked at her. "How do you expect we travel?"

"By foot, by Tube. I don't need a private car and we aren't going out in official capacity."

"How are we going out?"

Lucy glared at him. "I'm assuming you have a change of clothes around somewhere for the occasion. We're going out and no one is going to notice."

Tony laughed. "Someone always notices."

"Then look a lot different." Lucy walked into the kitchen.

With Lucy promising to not leave, Tony went and changed. During this time, Lucy ate a quick breakfast and glanced through the newspapers. Funny enough, Lucy wasn't mentioned this morning, moving onto William for some reason. Harry was mentioned briefly, just in passing. The story about William certainly gave Lucy a laugh but it was completely false.

Tony came back in, and then held the door open for Lucy. They both left. Tony had called a car around and it waited outside. Unlike the normal black and sleek royal cars, this one was dressed to look modern. Tony said the car would drop them off in central London, and then Lucy was in charge where to go. However, Tony made her promise they would stick together. He wasn't losing his job after one week.

The car dropped them off at Saint James's Park and Tony automatically made a comment, "We're not even that far from a palace." He referred how Buckingham Palace was just down the road, where she was yesterday.

She smirked. "To be honest, I'm not sure how to live without a palace right now. I lived in London for three years before moving in with Harry. I explored here and there, but I always had him. I can't imagine my life without him." Lucy walked down the path and Tony followed.

"You're supposed to say that happily," Tony replied. "I can't imagine my life without him, happy! With a smile!" He mocked her with a smile. "I don't want to be without him! I love him! With a smile!"

"I used to be very good with that; I used to be naturally happy. Now, I'm freaking out constantly."

Tony stopped. "Miss Smith, do not think me out of turn. May I speak honestly?"

"Go for it."

"Do you want to marry the prince?"

"Yes. I want to marry him. I want to have a future with him." Lucy said it constantly so that everyone understood. There weren't any reservations about marrying him. There weren't any reservations about having a life with him.

"Then you are hesitant about something else?"

Lucy glanced at him.

"Miss Smith, we'll be with each other for a while. I will be with you quite a lot. I will be with you in the difficult times, because that is my job. I am aware of what my job is. I will protect you." They continued to walk. "What are you hesitant about?"

"As the file says, I'm independent." Her eyes glanced over at him. "I've glanced through the file," she explained. "I love Harry. I want my life with Harry. I don't want my life with royalty. Honestly, I don't want my life with you, where you're constantly following me, trying to save me."

"If we're being honest, Miss Smith, you wouldn't have a personal bodyguard if it wasn't for your past."

"That I already know."

Lucy continued forward and breathed in the air. "Next week," she said, "I will stand in front of a bunch of cameras with my left arm swung through Harry's right arm, letting it dangle there as I show off my giant ring." Tony stopped beside her. "From then on, if I make down the aisle, if our marriage works out, I'll be known as his girl. He doesn't think that way, but some people do. Some people think I should sit my ass down and shut the fuck up. I can't do that. I can't be photographed every day of my life. I can't have my fake personal business on the front pages." Lucy laughed. "If the royal family would give the media more details, be more open, the paparazzi might actually back off."

"They mean to protect their family."

Lucy glanced over. "As you know, you can't protect everyone." Walking into the grass, she smiled. "If this is my last day of freedom, let me fly."