Chapter 8: I'm Such A Smart Cookie. Admit It

Começar do início

'The decision is based off a petty fact. Did you really want him to help you? If he did that would make you a weak girl that can't deal with pain and always wants a guy to help you in a dangerous time. That's Bridget's type. You don't roll like that though; you take it like a woman. Stop being a bitch and suck it up. Hang out with him like usual and don't back down.'

I nodded along. That voice is very wise. That was indeed the truth. I couldn't start getting bitchy about those facts; I wasn't going to turn into a Bridget. I didn't need his help unless I was in too much pain. Like today.

Was it even still 'today'? How long have I been drifting in this darkness? Whatever. So my little wise voice had just talked me into another decision. I wasn't going to back down and coward away from James and Carl. I'm going to do my own thing, live my life my way, and hang out with whomever the hell I wanted to with.

Maybe I'll learn how to fight too, for safety. Yeah, that's how this shit right here is about to go down. I'm not going to let others control my life like my mother had, I'm not going down that path anymore. I wasn't going to be a little bitch either.

My sense of hearing came back first, the sounds of people whispering and then there was the sounds of chairs being pushed forward and backward. A smell drifted in the air, like chemicals and medicine and the scent of flowers were trying to cover it up. It was a really bad combination.

Slowly, I opened my heavy eyelids and I found myself staring at a very white ceiling. I noticed that I couldn't feel my stomach at all. I was almost afraid it had disappeared. At least there was no pain.

My tongue was extremely dry and I was aching for something to drink. I licked my lips and tried to use my voice. It was hard, pushing for the audio I knew I could use. Soon I had it working though, it was very raspy, like I hadn't used it in a week.

"Where am I and can I get some water?"

Silence, it radiated off the sides of the walls and all over the place. Well, I'll be damned. If they were going to be like that, I wouldn't have talked. But shit, I was really thirsty. Suddenly, the bed was lifting into a sitting position and my stomach stung once but then died down.

That didn't stop me from wincing. My vision came to two people sitting at the end of my bed, Evan and Ryan. The school nurse, or I'm guessing that was the woman who wore a white coat I saw Doctors wear, placed a remote back on a stand and walked over to me.

She held out a cup of water and I took it with the hand that belonged to the arm without that heavy bruise. I drunk it so fast I think I just breathed it all down. I asked for another cup and with this one, I sipped on it, trying not to look like a fucking pig.

Evan was staring straight ahead even though it was blocked by a blue cover that went all the around the small room, giving people privacy.

The school nurse smiled weakly and said, "I'll give you three a minute, I have another patient. I'll be back in five to discuss your injuries, Kylie."

I just made a sound as I sipped on more water. I hoped it sounded something like 'Mm mph'. Whatever. She got the message, leaving the curtain and it rippled back into place. As soon as she was gone though, Ryan stood up and came over to my bed quickly.

"I seriously thought you was going to die, Kylie."

I simply stared at him. He thought I was going to die? How pathetic did he think I was? I shook my head and rested my half full cup of water in my lap. My other arm had a bandage wrapped tightly around the bruised area and it didn't ache anymore.

I signed and stared at the ceiling, all my thinking in that darkness came back and I mentally agreed with it all. I wonder what life was going to throw my way now? I wish it would stop throwing pain, but I don't it ever does.