Chapter 16 - Imperiled

Start from the beginning

“I have been at the gathering where there was a celebration for the newly bonded couple.  One of the rogues I recruited lent me his blow dart.  It was spiked with a lethal dose of Curaré.  I took a chance and took advantage of their revelry.  I had a clear shot at the alpha, but a slight miscalculation led to a misfire.  The L—Luna was shot instead and they came after me but I managed to escape.”

Carter was on him in a flash and lifted him feet above the ground.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY?  YOU STUPID SON OF A COCKSUCKER.  Who told you to make a move?  We had a plan you moron.  I needed her alive.”    Enrique crashed against the partitioned wall creating a clean break in two.

“Tell me she’s still alive or I swear you will soon follow.”

But no response came from his beta.  He was totally knocked out and Carter can only growl in anger.

*****

“Damn It all to hell!  Tanner!  Tanner!  Queran’s hurt, check the area and bring that son of a bitch to me.”

Screams erupted, but Keegan was focused on his Luna.  He deftly took out a feathered dart with an ultra fine tip.  Dan was already by his side with a zip lock plastic to hold the offending weapon for lab analysis.  With a quick glance and hurried assessment, it may have just been laced with a tranq, judging by the even rise of Queran’s chest.  Keegan carried her in his arms and ran towards the house.

“Mom, she is burning up!!  Get the door for me please.” 

A frantic Keegan was already eating up ground in a rush to carry a pallid Queran indoors.  Meg and Caitlin with Dan Heeley were not far behind them.  Elijah and Tanner had to stay back to calm the worried faces of the pack and pursue the attacker.

“You need some help, Bud?”  Dan asked.

“I got this, thanks. I’ll let you know if her condition gets tricky.  She’s breathing just fine.  Get that thing examined and keep me posted.” 

As soon as they reached one of the rooms, he took off her sneakers and loosened her shirt and Capri pants.  He nuzzled her neck just to breathe her in and calm his nerves.  He checked her pulse that was rapid; beads of sweat were already forming on her forehead drenching her scalp.   Meg came in from the en suite with a basin of cold water.  “May I, alpha?”

Keegan nodded and stood up facing the window.  “Did you find anything?”  

He mind linked with Tanner.

“I got the best trackers on his heels now.  I’ll let you know right away once I find something.”

“Do that.  I want him alive, Tanner.  He’ll pay for hurting my mate.”

“Will do, alpha.”

“Will she be alright, Keegan? “  Meg asked.

“We have reason to believe the dart was laced with a low dose of tranquilizer.  We’ll just let her ride it off for now.  Being a wolf will allow the drug to dissipate.  We’ll have more answers after Dan runs some tests.”   

Keegan walked back to her bedside and held her hand.  They were so cold to touch.  He was shaking in anger, his wolf is livid.  Much as he wants to hunt down who did this to his mate, he can’t leave her.  He shucked his shoes and lay down beside her and nestled his face in the crook of her shoulder.  Meg quietly walked out of the room to give them some privacy.  Queran let out a pained whimper.