Chapter Sixteen: The Spider Teaches Me To Bite

Magsimula sa umpisa

I really don’t know why I’m so uncomfortable around surveillance cameras. It’s not like I’m going to do any crime.

“So, Ronica,” says Natasha, “how about you start doing some stretches over there in the middle while I finish your program here?”

“Sure,” I say as I walk towards the center of the room.

“Wait,” says Natasha as I am halfway to the center. I face her. “Your hair doesn’t fit you.”

She’s right. “Well, I was thinking about braiding it earlier but I couldn’t.”

“That’s exactly what I’m thinking.” She walks towards me and turns me around. Then, she removes my scrunchie and starts finger-combing my hair. “Your hair’s thick, you know. And a little long.”

I shrug. “It’s hereditary.”

She snickers.

“I like your red hair, though.”

“You do?"

“Yeah. I’ve always wanna get my hair dyed red but mom wouldn’t let me.”

After a few minutes, she’s done with my hair. I lightly touch it and turn around to thank her. Her expression turns blank.

“Are you gonna train with your glasses on?” she asks.

I adjust my glasses. “Well, I do my Phys. Ed. activities with my glasses on,” I reply, “…when we’re doing badminton or volleyball, even if I get hit in the face by the ball sometimes. And, I also fought with Sin with my glasses on.”

She snickers. “Well, this training is gonna be more painful than getting hit in the face by a ball. So, I suggest, you remove your glasses.”

“I would but, I’d get dizzy. And how can I fight if I can’t see clearly?”

“Actually, in my opinion, you use your mind a lot more than your eyes while I fight. You should know and feel when there is an enemy approaching you, especially when you can’t see around you.”

“In short, you should know how to fight with a blindfold on?”

She removes my glasses and my vision is blurry. Yet, I can see her face a little clearly. “I’m saying, you should not only see your surroundings, but you should also feel them.”

I close my eyes for a moment because I’m getting dizzier and dizzier by the second without my glasses.

“You can open your eyes, Ronica,” Natasha says soothingly while touching my cheeks. “You can face your obstacles and your sight is one of them.”

I struggle opening my eyes.

“C’mon. Take a deep breath.” I do what she says. “Now, slowly open your eyes.”

I open my eyes slowly and see her green or gray ones are staring back at mine. She smiles.

“How do you feel?” she asks.

I shrug. “A little dizzy. But I think I’d be able to control it.”

“There. You see?” she walks back to the computer. “Now, go on with your stretches and I’m almost done here.”

I walk to the center and start to do some stretches with my head. I tilt my head to the right with my right arm over it and count one to ten. Then, on my left. Then, I lift my head with my hands under my chin. Then, face the ground with my hands over my head. After those, I do some shoulder stretching.

“Is that what you do at school?” she asks.

“Yes,” I answer. “Is it fine?”

She smiles. “It’s perfect.”