"I will never promise something I can't nor have intentions of doing."
"Everyone feels the same way in the beginning, and then they break their promise..." she had whispered.
"I understand, and it has made you jaded because of it...but Kristen, I know you believe me. From we've met, I've been nothing but honest to you and I refuse to be anything else. I truly, above all feelings, I simply want to protect you."

Protection. To protect in the way that Viktor wanted to meant that he cared about her, didn't it? It had to, she wasn't paying him to do it; in fact he seemed to be going beyond the paycheck when it came to her. He cared about her and it was actually genuine; she felt it.

Her cell phone chimed off and she swiveled around to her desk to see who was calling.

Viktor!

Her eyes opened wide at the name displayed; what, had she thought about him too hard? Trying to calm the flutters in her chest, she picked up the call and greeted him.

"Mr. Shostak..."
"The lovely Ms. Hilton. How have you been since I last held you?"

Kris shivered at the question and grinned because the damn critters flapping around in her stomach were tickling her.

"I've been well." My, her voice sounded as soft as a baby duck's ass. Odd comparison.
"I've not." He sighed deeply.
"Why what's wrong?" She asked; legit with her concern.
"I find that sleeping alone since Monday has been impossible; was considering changing my mattress."
"You're silly...and even if that was true, it's only been one night since." she chuckled.
"You've spoiled me and I want to do it again. Please?"
"Begging is so cute."
"I'll do it all night if it meant I can pick you up in the morning."
"Viktor-"
"Ooo purr koketka..." he hissed and made Kris' eyes flicker shut.

Conversations like this were what had her looking at him differently.

"Um, just where the hell are you? I noticed that you didn't come in this evening and Fairchild was here."
"Are you changing the subject Kristen?" He asked just before a car horn blared in his background.
"Was it that obvious?"
"Very." She could hear the grin in his voice and it made her do the same.
"I was really going for subtle-wait, now you're changing the subject. Where are you?"
"Clever, beautiful and feisty; I'm smitten. As it turns out I was busy observing a drug bust at Night Bash."

Kris nearly fell out her chair with disbelief. Night Bash was one of her competitors and they were doing pretty good for themselves. Though they were not on her level with the entire club experience that TTB could insure, they knew what they were doing. What the hell had happened?

"Your silence means you've either hung up on me, in shock, or my voice is just that fucking sexy."
"Two out of three ain't bad."
"Now I'm interested."
"Focus Viktor, what do you mean Night Bash got busted tonight? What went down?"
"After the last incident, the club has been on watch. Tonight, Fairchild's pusher had clocked in and he was loaded with not only Blank but other illegal narcotics. Apparently, some law abiding citizen called in to the SFPD Narcotics Tip Line and made anonymous mentions of suspicion at Castello's club."
"Shit, wait-when you said you were observing the drug bust, did it mean that you were there before it happened?"
"That is correct Kristen." He said and she could almost see the lop sided grin to accompany it.
Kris sat back in her chair and closed her eyes in disbelief.
"Silence again..."
"Viktor, were you the anonymous caller that tipped them off?" She already knew the answer.
"You've already figured that out so why ask?"
"I just wanted verbal confirmation." She gestured but landed her palm onto the handle of the chair.
"Why do you sound disappointed Kristen? I've not only eliminated the threat of a competitor but also began to crumble Fairchild's empire. Is this not what you wanted?"