Chapter 17: On The Run Again

"What do you mean she's not there?" I say feeling scared. They have crossed a line now.

"I don't know..." He trails off as my phone begins to ring. I look down at it in my hand. The caller ID says unknown number. I pick it up and put it to my ear.

Before I get a chance to say anything, the familiar husky voice on the other line speaks up. "If you want to see your precious Melanie again, come to New York City, alone." The line went dead and I put the phone in my back pocket. My face is blank and pale, and when I look to Tyler, he looks like his whole world is falling apart. I don't know why he's so worried, she's my baby. I run upstairs, Tyler following behind me, as I race into my room and pack things up.

I hear Trisha's voice downstairs calling my name menacingly. She's back. That means Melanie couldn't have gotten far. My guess is she took her out to a car and handed her off to someone and they've taken her What has gotten into Trisha though? She never would have done this normally.

I throw my back back over my shoulders and open the balcony doors.

"What are you doing?" Ty asks anxiously.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm climbing out the window." I whisper-yell. Maybe that was a bit harsh but don't ask me stupid questions when it's clear what I'm doing. Reluctantly, he follows, not bothering to get his own stuff together. There's not time. Trisha is getting closer.

We jump down to the ground just as she bursts through the door into the bedroom. She runs to the window, yelling, and shoots her gun, barely missing Tyler.

"That was a close one." I say as I sit in the drivers seat of a white Ferrari.

"Yeah." Ty replies, looking at me. "Will you be able to drive this thing okay?" He asks nervously.

I roll my eyes. "Don't question a mother who just lost her child to an evil maniac." I say before speeding off.

After a while of putting some distance between us and Trisha, I glance over at Tyler. He states out the window and, based on his reflection in the glass, he seems troubled.

"What's wrong Ty?" I ask sincerely. He looks at me and I can see a pained look on his face.

"I haven't told you my story yet." He says softly, breaking the brief eye contact. I look at the road like its my favourite TV show.

"When I was pretty young, my parents died from a guy like Liovard. He put a bomb in their car and when they were on the highway, it blew. I had to live with my abusive aunt and uncle. Then as soon as I could, I left them and never looked back. Every so often though, we would get threats from the mob people that they were coming for me, they came a couple times. They killed my younger sister and almost killed my aunt and uncle. They were in the hospital for about a month each." He paused to take a deep breath.

"At the time, I was only sixteen but I decided to run away. I made it all the way to Canada, from Texas, and turned back because I forgot about my sisters funeral. When I got back both my aunt and uncle were dead. I was all alone, no family. The day I turned 18, I left my foster home and bought this house with all the money I got handed down to me from my dead family members."

"I'm sorry." I tell him, not knowing what else to say.

"You shouldn't feel any pity for me, you have your own problems." He looks at me. "If anything, I'm probably the best person to help you get through all this garbage."

As we drive onto the highway, I switch into the fast lane. I forget that I was the one driving because I take my hands off the wheel to give him a hug. The car swerved, a bright light, a honk, a screech, then blackness surrounds me and I feel pain spread across my body, before losing consciousness.

When I wake up, I'm in a blue and white room. I look to the bed next to me and Tyler is there. He has a neck brace and bruises all over his face and arms. I look down at myself. I'm wearing a cast on my entire leg. I broke my leg. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a man sitting in the corner of the room, glaring at me. My vision is blurry but after a while he comes into focus.

"Hello, Liza." His husky male voice hums.

"Liovard? W-what are you doing here." I stammer, trying to gain the strength to speak properly. He swiftly stands up and moves towards my bed. He presses his index finger to my forehead as I try to sit up, which sends pain throughout my whole body and I collapse back on the bed. I cringe at his touch. His sausage fingers smell like cheap cologne.

He bends down next to my ear and whispers menacingly, "If you don't get outta this hell hole in two days and get your ass to New York, you'll never see Melanie again." He stands back up and walks out of the room, leaving me alone with the sleeping Tyler. I would put my head in my hands if they weren't so far away. A tear strolls down my face. I glance at Tyler and do a double take when I see him staring at me, his lips pressed in a thin line.