Chapter 2: Checking In

Joey and I walk up to the check in counter and get ourselves a room. We take the elevator up to the third floor and go down the hallway to our room. Number 389. I take the key, opening the door. I look around the dim lit space before charging in towards the bed and flopping down on it. It feels so soft and comfy; way comfier than Joey's car. I could fall asleep right now.

Just as I start drifting off to sleep again, my stomach starts grumbling. Like, really loud. I realized that I never ate dinner or breakfast, as it is now the next day apparently. Joey comes in with a weird look on his face, peaking his head around the corner to look at me.

"What was that noise?" He asks.

"That would be my stomach." I huff as I reposition myself in the bed to face him. "I haven't eaten since lunch yesterday."

He clicks his tongue at me jokingly.m, before peeling up with an idea. "How about this, I'll take you out to a fancy lunch to make up for this whole mess we're in." I squint my eyes at him because he never usually suggests really expensive dates. "Oh, and wear something pretty." He says before going back around the corner, shooting a sly wink at me.

After Joey finishes showering, I go into the bathroom to freshen myself up. I look, and feel, like a mess.

Once I take my shower, and utilizing the unlimited hot water supply, I brush my teeth, pick out an outfit and throw on my boots.

When I come out of the bathroom, I am feeling like myself again. Wearing a pair of skinny jeans, an emerald-green, fitted v-neck blouse and my laced knee high boots, I feel like a celebrity. My makeup is all done up as well. A red lipstick, a smokey eye shadow, and all that jazz.

When I finally see Joey, he has on a pair of jeans and a nice blue dress shirt and dress shoes. He looks so handsome. I walkover to him and he pulls me into a tight hug and kisses the top of my head.

"You look beautiful." He smiles down at me. I stand on my toes, kissing him on the lips.

"Where to?" I ask with a smile.

Joey and I drive towards a really fancy restaurant that I can't even pronounce the name of. I'm honestly so surprised that this is where we're going. I have to ask him why.

"What's the occasion?" I ask, as we step out of the car.

And of course, Joey being Joey, he replies with the cheesiest answer ever, "Because a special girl needs a special lunch." He smirks. He knows I hate when he acts all cheesy like that. I just glare at him. He is up to something.

By the end of our lunch, we are both laughing and having a fun time. I'm laughing so hard that spaghetti nearly is coming out my nose! Okay maybe not literally, but that would've been awkward if it did. I feel bad for the other few people who are in here enjoying their lunch because we must be really disruptive. But right now, I don't really care. I'm here enjoying lunch with my best friend and that's all that matters.

After we finished dessert, Joey points out that I have some chocolate sauce on my cheek. Embarrassed, I reach for my cloth, but realized I dropped it on the floor. I bend down awkwardly under the table to pick it up and after wiping my cheek under the table, I back up to find Joey, stooped down on one knee. He's proposing to me!

"Liza," he began, "the minute I met you, I knew you were the girl for me. I love you with all my heart." I can feel tears stinging my eyes. "Will you marry me?" He asks, standing up. I stand up too. I'm speechless and in shock.

"Our relationship has been getting more serious lately and I thought the time was right." He continues.

"Yes, of course I'll marry you." I reply, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him. The people in the restaurant clap and someone whistles loudly. It was truly a magical moment.

We finish up at the restaurant, feeling happy and in love, but soon that fades because the realization that we are still on the run sets in and we have to get back to our hotel room.

The day went by quickly, even though Joey and I just laid in bed, cuddling and watching TV.

And soon, the day turned to night, and I couldn't sleep at all because my mind kept asking me questions the whole time.

How did he keep this family secret from me for so long? Why did he choose now to propose? Where are we going to go to? When are we getting married?

At about one o'clock in the morning I finally drift off to sleep. And although I was happy to get some sleep, my mind was full of nightmares of us getting kidnapped in the night. Or us getting killed. As much as I wanted to wake up... I couldn't.

When I finally did wake up though, it was ten o'clock in the morning. Joey was sitting at the end of his bed pulling up his pants while watching something on the TV. I look away to give him some privacy, and after a few minutes of debating whether or not I wanted to get up, I sit up and leaned my head against the wall. "

"Why is this happening to me?" I ask myself. Joey must've heard because he comes over a lays down next to me.

"What's wrong Liza? You seem sad." He asks, looking up at me. I look down at him. Putting my hand on his cheek, I take a deep breath.

"What happened with this whole mafia situation? And why am I involved again?" My question seems to make him feel uncomfortable because he looks away from me.

"I guess if we are going to be gettin married then you should know the whole story."

I nod my head, not wanting to push him.

"So, when I was born, my parents were poor and couldn't afford much. One day my dad went to the Mafia and asked to see a guy names Liovard; the main man. My dad asked for quite a bit of money from him, and Liovard told my dad that if he didn't get him back the money by my fourth birthday, he would kill all of us. When the time came, my dad didn't have enough. Liovard held up a gun, pointing at my mom and just before he was about to pull the trigger, my dad stopped him and said he would join his mob group in return for our freedom. They accepted his offer." Joey stopped for a bit.

"The next thing I knew, my mom was taking me and my sister to the WPP. We got all changed up, and everything was different. We moved here to New York because its a big city and very busy. But, my dad found us and that's the man who was spying on us and came to the door. He apologized to me but only because he held a gun up to me. Luckily I took self defence so I took him down. He threatened to kill the love of my life. So I took you away to keep you safe."

I sigh and throw my head down on the bed. I didn't know about any of this for the entirety of our relationship, and it took being engaged to get him to tell me?

"What are we going to do? Where will we go?" I turn to look at him. He has his hands over his eyes.

"Well, I booked us a flight to Florida. We will go there and find a house."

"Florida? Why Florida?" I feel like being at the airport would be more dangerous. That we would be more likely to be found.

"We are leaving this afternoon." He gets up and starts packing his things. I guess it's a good thing I brought my passport and health card.

We check out of our hotel room at noon and take a cab to the airport.