Chapter 8: In Three Months

Three months have gone by without another appearance from the mafia. I'm thankful for it, but it also freaks me out because it could mean one of two things. The first option is that Joey's dad told Liovard to lay off for a while to give us some time to sort things out. The second option is that he's planning his next attack. Only time will tell.

Anyways, speaking of dads, the reality that I am going to be giving birth to a baby in four and a half months is finally starting to set in. My belly is getting bigger now and I feel uncomfortable all the time. I have trouble sleeping at night because I have to lay on my back, but I usually lay on my stomach. It's a little bit frustrating but it'll be over soon. One good thing about this all is that I have no morning sickness. I hear all these stories about expectant mothers who are throwing up all the time, so I'm happy I don't have that and I pray that I won't in the future either.

I'm having one of those restless nights. It's already four in the morning and I haven't gotten a wink of sleep. "Joey?" I whisper and shake him.

He groans and stretches his arms. "Yeah? Are you okay?" He turns to face me and puts his hand on my belly.

"I can't sleep." I mutter.

He lays back down. "Alright well we can talk." He hoists himself up and turns on the lamp beside him. The room fills with a dim, yellow light, causing me to shut my eyes at the sudden change.

My eyes quickly adjust and I get up and sit with my back against the headboard of the bed.

"Do you think the baby will be a boy or a girl?" Joey asks. "I'm hoping for a boy so I can play sports with him." He smiles.

"I'll be happy with either." I smile too.

Joey starts getting all excited, which means there's going to be a lot of questions. "What should we name the baby?"

"I was thinking that if it's a boy, Jake." I reply, looking down at my belly. "I always liked the name Jake. And if it's a girl, Melanie." I start getting tired and Joey helps me lay back down, and I drift off to sleep.

But unfortunately for me, my sleep was filled with nightmares. I'm still pregnant, but like, super pregnant, and we are in a bank. I was wearing a white leather jacket, unzipped, with a tank top underneath, stretched over my belly, and skinny jeans, I have my sunglasses on my head and my hair in a ponytail. Joey walks in with a black jacket and jeans. I go up to the teller and ask to take money out of my account. I put my purse down on the counter and take out my wallet, but then I start a commotion. I start screaming and fall to the ground, which draws the attention of literally everyone in the bank. People start gathering around and I see Joey go to the back and grab a code. The plan was for him to unlock the vault and grab as much money as possible and get outta there. It didn't work out as planned. Liovard walks in and recognized me. He smirks at me and makes a beeline to the vault where Joey is. All of a sudden there's a gunshot and everybody jumps and screams. I get up, forgetting the act I was putting on, and make a run for the doors to escape. Just as I'm going through the doors, there's a sharp pain in the middle of my back, which causes me to fall to my knees. I look down at my chest and see blood dripping down my white jacket. Slowly, I turn around to see a man on one knee with a bunch of knives in one hand. His expression is cold. The only defining features about him were his scruffy brown beard and brown hair, and his eyes. His grey eyes. I reach for my back and pull out the knife to examining it. My vision becomes blurry and time seems to move in slow motion. The knife has golden and black stripes with the letters L. J. M. on it. As the blood drips off the knife onto the floor, he throws another one which hits my in my heart. I collapse to the ground.

I shoot up in bed, breathing heavily and sweating profusely. Joey wakes up from my sudden burst. I tell Joey about my dreams because he helps me try to decipher them.

"It's just a guilty conscience because you know you have to do something bad for the right reason." He rubs my back and I look down at my stomach. He's probably right, but for some reason I can't shake this bad feeling I have.

"Our situation is getting even more complicated." I reply as a tear streaks my face. He sighs, not knowing what to say. I quickly wipe away my tears and get up to get ready. I hop in the shower and get all cleaned up. The hot water relaxes me and calms me down, and when I finally am finished getting ready, I come out of the bathroom to find Joey on the phone writing something down. He looks up at me and smiles.

I mouth the words, "Who is that?" And he puts up one finger to signal one sec. I sit down on the messy bed, then decide to fix it before I sit on it. I pull it up to where Joey was sitting and folded it over. I then sat down and tried to listen in on the conversation but I couldn't catch what the person was saying. The only words I could hear were, Liovard, coming, and kill. I started panicking.

"Oh my gosh, what!?" I shriek.

He whispers for me to shush but that makes it worse.

"I won't be quiet when Liovard may be coming to kill us!"

"Babe, shh! I am on the phone." He put his hand over my mouth, so, I lick his hand. He glares at me and then directs his attention back to the phone call.

"Okay, sorry, I gotta go now. Talk to you later." Then he hangs up the phone.

"What is wrong with you?" He asks, looking at me with a frown.

"Is Liovard coming to kill us?" Fear drips out of my voice.

"No, babe, relax. No. He's in Italy right now and he's visiting his mother so we have like two weeks or so." He says quickly to calm me down before I can say anything. I sigh with relief.

"Thank goodness." I say and back on the bed and breathe out a heavy sigh.

"Jo, why don't you go get ready and we'll go to breakfast." Obeying my orders he goes and got some clothes and went into the bathroom with a towel over his shoulder for a shower.

About fifteen minutes later, Joey and I head out of the room and decide to go to the hotel's breakfast cafe. It's pretty much empty except for another couple, and one man sitting in the corner reading a news paper. I glance over at him just as he puts it down for a quick second and I catch a glimpse of his face. He has a scruffy brown beard and brown hair. A wave of panic flushes my entire body and I freeze. Joey looks at me with a confused expression and follows my gaze to the man. I look at his eyes. They're steel grey. I take Joey's hand and squeeze it tight.

"Let's go eat somewhere else." I give him a knowing glare and he agrees without hesitation. We decided to just go to a Starbucks down the street and I get my usual Venti Mocha Frappuccino with soy milk and a piece of lemon loaf. We sat at one of the tables inside and talk for a while before deciding to go for a walk.

We walk down to the park and back up the street and we come across the church we got married in.

"I heard they closed the church for a holiday or something." Joey says curiously.

"Lets go in and see." The door is open so we walk in, there's no sign of anyone. We walk through the middle aisle towards the stage, when I see something out of the corner of my eye. I back up and go to the row where I saw it, and to my horror, I find somebody laying face down on a pew.

"Uhh Jo?" I creep over and realize that it's the priest. I tap him, but no response. I cover my hand with my sleeve and flip him over and quickly jump back.

"Oh my gosh!" I scream and some what start hyperventilating. A knife was sticking out of his mouth, blood dripping from it. I took a look at the handle of the knife. Black and golden striped with the letters, L. J. M on it.

I back away freaking out, and when Joey comes over and sees why I'm freaking out, he freaks out too. "We need to get out of here!" He yells and we run out of there and go as fast as we can back to the hotel.

When we got back to the hotel I start pacing around, thinking only about that guy from my dream, who turns out to be completely real and nearby. With those knives. Those same knives from my dream.

I remember the letters, L.J.M., those same letters.

"Jo, call your dad and ask him Liovard's full name."

He looks at me confused. "What? Why?"

"Just do it."