Chapter 39

I check my outfit in the mirror, making sure my hair is falling the way I want it to.

I'm wearing a grey sweater, with black jeans, white Converse and my favourite burgundy beanie.

I hear the doorbell ring, and realize that it's too late to get changed again. He's here.

I yell out to dad and Aug, taking my black bag and walking to the front door.

I open the door and Nick stands there with a single rose in his hand. He's wearing a black t-shirt that clings to his body nicely, with blue jeans and black vans.

"This is for you," he says, holding out the rose. I tut at him.

"Now what am I supposed to do with this? I can't possibly find a vase for it and have it sitting by itself," I joke, and he hums a little.

"Well, it's funny actually, because I knew you were going to say that, so I got you some more," he says, and pulls a bouquet of white roses from behind his back. I gasp.

"Oh my goodness, Nick, these are beautiful," I say, taking the flowers from him.

"As beautiful as you? Because damn girl, you look fine," he says, and I laugh. I walk back into the kitchen and find a vase, putting the flowers in it and having the red rose right in the middle, then placing them on the bench until I get home later.

"Ready to go?" I say, turning to him as we walk out the door.

"Oh wait, I need to do one more thing," he says, and I look at him, puzzled.

"What?" he pulls me close to him, then kisses me, and I can't help but smile.

"Okay, I'm ready," he says, and I roll my eyes.

"You have to admit, that was smooth," he says as we walk to the tram stop.

"Yeah, yeah, don't flatter yourself," I say, as he takes my hand.

"Where are we going?" I ask, and he grins at me.

"It's a surprise," he says, and I pout.

"But the girls took me on a birthday surprise yesterday, and now I have another one?" I say, and he huffs.

"Life is tough, right?" he teases, and I scrunch up my nose. We wait for a tram, and I try to guess where he is taking me.

"The movies?" I ask, and he gives me a look.

"A restaurant?" I ask, and he shakes his head.

"These ideas are so mainstream, princess," he says, and then a tram comes so we get on and I take a seat.

"I give up, can't you just tell me?" I say, and he grins, shaking his head.

"Damn," I say.

We get into the city and walk to Docklands, and I get an idea.

"Ice skating!" I say, and Nick looks at me with confusion.

"What?"

"We're going ice skating," I say, and he shakes his head.

"As much as I would love to fall on my ass over and over again, I must refrain," he says, and we take the escalator up to the second level.

We go past a glow-in-the-dark mini golf center, and then we go past a paintball arena, and then Nick stops.

"We're here," he says, and I look up at the sign.

LASER TAG.

"Oh my goodness," I say, getting really excited. I love laser tag.