Chapter 9

"Charlotte, baby cakes, wake up," I hear my dad say, and I groan, rolling over. It's Wednesday morning, and I DO NOT want to go to school.

"C'mon Char, time to wake up," Dad says, opening the door wider.

"But daddy, I wanna stay in bed," I say, opening my eyes and showing my best puppy dog eyes.

"Snookums, I know but you need to get up," Dad says, jumping on my bed next to me. He knows I hate those cheesy names.

"Snookums, really?"

"Thought it might get you up," he says, lying down next to me.

"Well, it didn't,"

"Come on Char, Aug will blow a fuse if we aren't leaving soon," Dad says, and I giggle, remembering Auggie's outburst the other morning.

"DAD! IS SHE AWAKE?" I hear Auggie's booming voice, and I jump out of bed and sprint over to my wardrobe.

"Dad, is it warm or cold outside?" I hiss, and he starts making my bed.

"Oh, it's cold today," I grab out a pair of high-waisted black jeans and a white t-shirt, the collar a line of black. I put on my all black high top converse, and then run a brush through my hair. It frizzes out, and I don't bother trying to pat it down; it's no use.

"Ok, lets go," I say, and dad and I exit my room and walk into the kitchen, where Aug has already made avocado smash on toast.

"Took your time. Hurry and eat your toast, Char, we're leaving in 15," he says, walking off into his room.

...

"Aug, I'm driving!" I yell, putting my bag in the boot of dad's car and putting the L plate up. I get into the driver's seat, where dad is already waiting in the passenger seat.

Aug walks out of the door, locking it on his way out.

"And you get annoyed at us for being late," I say as he gets into his seat, and he mumbles something under his breath. I back out into the street and start driving to school.

...

"Ok kids, have a lovely day at school, I'll see you in period five!" Dad says, walking to the staff room as Aug and I head to the library foyer where everyone else sits.

"Charlie! Charlie, over here!" May yells, and I walk over to her.

"Nice to see you too, May," Aug says, and she smiles, waving at him, then stamping her foot at me to hurry.

I walk over to May, who is wearing white ballet flats with a purple skirt and a black tank top.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask as I go over.

"Oh, nothing, I was just letting you know I'm here," May says, and I roll my eyes.

"Where are the others?" I ask, and May shrugs.

"No idea, I got here like 2 minutes ago,"

The bell rings just as I'm about to answer.

"Well, I've got Business Management now, so I'll see you later," May says, and I nod, walking away to go over to my locker.

"Hey Char," Grace says, walking over to my locker with Jane in tow.

"There you guys are! Where were you?" I ask.

"Oh, we went to the library. Hannah needed a textiles book to borrow, so we thought we'd tag along," Jane says, and I nod.

"Come on, we have music and then you have P.E," Grace says, and I nod, taking out my music folder. I'll come back for my sport bag.