Chapter 17: Mourners

Start from the beginning

     "No, no, no, no, NO!" The Frigatebird roared at Flame. "You idiot! We're supposed to be figuring out our problems, not burning our feathers off!"

    Flame hesitated for a moment, then when he heard another sizzle from his wings, resumed to pounding them against the stones.

    The Lesser Frigatebird breathed noisily from his mouth, frustrated. "Oh, come here! Let me get rid of the poison and stop the ash!" He stayed on the edge of the pool, wary of the water.

    Flame flapped unsteadily towards him, his primary feathers almost burnt off. The Frigatebird looked at it, then started to chant.

Acid like poison, start to break

Seethe away, creating day, upending to make

Power hungry, for the feathers, of this phoenix cake!

    Amazingly, the acid started to disappear, and Flame's feathers were mending itself. Flame looked at his new feathers wondrously, then at the Frigatebird thankfully. "Yes. Thank you for the spell. Now, about our conversation...?"

    "Yes...?"

    "Well, I can't believe that I'm clashing against my own side. This is dumb for me to be Fireborn!" Flame paused. "Anyway, let's revise our whole plan, shall we?" He paused.

    "Tomorrow. Meet me back here at exactly two shadows before sundown. The two birds started walking unsteadily away, their voices fading. The Frigatebird sighed. "Lord knows if this will work. So, we first will -" Their voices disappeared as they exited, The Fall's roaring blocking out any sound. Canyon gave a huge sigh of disappointment. Tomorrow, she will be here again, in case they decide to talk more here.

    Questions swirled around her head. What side was Flame on? Who's the Lesser Frigatebird? Why do they need another plan when King Falcon Claws is already executing one? Or is that a plan? What's a Fireborn? And above all, who is on whose side? Canyon was brimming with questions when the sun was starting to set. She flapped out of the water, pacing the stone lining. She didn't know any of this anymore than anybody else would, supposedly. So when it grew dark, and the Lantern Bugs lit the inside of the pool, she went back in. No use poundering it now when she would not get any answers. A soft horn blew across the pool, and Canyon knew that it was time to get out. The stone barrier at the end of the pool opened, and The Fall's water plunged into darkness.

    Canyon soared away, and on her way to her hollow, she noticed how eerily quiet the phoenix realm was. Guards stood on the borders, watching for the Ice Dragons. Phoenixes that usually milled around late into the night stayed, and safely locked themselves in their hollow. Nobody was around, except her. Nobody wanted to risk another life.

    Once Canyon reached her hollow, she carefully put a fire ring around her opening of the hollow for security measures. Not that it would do any good against Water-Xs, no. But it gave her comfort, and that's what she had been robbed of ever since the awakening of the Ice Dragons and the Forbidden. She peacefully fell into a deep sleep, still resting when the sun rose, and still resting when all others were up warming their wings from the sun.

                                                                                                   ~~~

    After her usual practice and meals the next day, she went to The Falls again, waiting there all alone 'till she heard the two voices fading back. She went back to her hiding place, and once again waited there for the whole entire conversation.