Chapter Eighteen - You Are So Difficult

Chapter Eighteen - "You Are So Difficult"

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

"Fuck my life," I muttered, pulling the covers over my head after shutting my alarm off.

My first day of senior year was finally here, and I definitely wasn't looking forward to it. Whether it was because I wasn't ready to face school or Chase, I didn't want it.

I wanted change, but not the school kind of change. Just a seasonal change.

"Linds! Get up!" Melissa barged into my room and jumped onto my bed. Her body crushed mine, making me yelp out in pain. She totally disregarded my cries and continued to yell. "Aren't you excited?"

"No," I groaned.

"Oh, come on. Mom made us breakfast and she's waiting at the table," she yanked the covers off me. She stared down at me with wide, hopeful eyes and a smile on her face. The expression made her look so young and innocent; so full of life.

I couldn't help but smile a little at it.

"Fine," I answered. I didn't fight back as she dragged me out of my room and pulled me down the stairs. I was going to have to face school whether I wanted to or not.

And to my surprise, my mom was sitting at the kitchen table with breakfast ready for us. She was always home in the mornings before we left for school anyway, but she never ate with us. It had also been awhile since I was up early enough to actually see my mom, so it was sort of a nice surprise.

"Hi girls," she grinned.

"Morning," my sister chirped while I muttered the word, taking a seat at the table.

"Excited for school?" She asked with her eyebrows raised.

"Yes," Melissa sang at the same time I mumbled, "no".

"Honey, come on," my mom sighed, casting her gaze to me. "It'll be okay."

"Sure about that?" I narrowed my eyes.

She paused and pursed her lips, then nodded her head and smiled. "Yes, I am. It always is."

I sighed, but didn't argue with her anymore. I piled a few pancakes on my plate and quickly finished them so I could get ready.

Trudging up the stairs, I walked into my bright room and shut the door, turning on my flat iron and waiting for it to heat up.

I decided on a floral printed baby blue playsuit, grabbing a light sweater for another layer since my school was always freezing. I straightened my hair, finished my makeup afterwards and slipped on a pair of white sandals. I ran down the steps with Melissa behind me, while she waited for her friend to pick her up for her first day of sophomore year.

"Bye Mom!" I called before I opened the door.

"Have a good day, sweetie!" She yelled from the kitchen, then I went out to my car to wait for Justin.

My passenger door flung open a few minutes later, prying my attention from my phone and meeting the face of my optimistic best friend. "Ready for the first day of our last year?" Justin grinned widely.

"Sort of," I shrugged, backing out of my driveway once he got in his seat.

"Oh, come on, Linds. It's our last year! How could you not be excited?" He gently nudged my shoulder.

"It's not that hard," I shrugged again as I mumbled the words.

"You're miserable attitude is very contagious," he chuckled jokingly.