Chapter Twelve - We Have Food And A New Friend Group

Chapter Twelve - "We Have Food And A New Friend Group"

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

The smell of sweet, mouth-watering, decadent batter filled my nostrils as I breathed it in. I flipped the pancake over in the pan and waited patiently for it to get done. My stomach rumbled loudly, causing me to whine a bit. 

My parents were at work, it was about 9 in the morning, and I was starving. So to fix that, I was making some thick, fluffy, chocolate chip pancakes for myself and Melissa – if she ever got out of bed, that is. 

It had been four days since we got back from Oregon, making it a Thursday. Yesterday was Melissa's sixteenth birthday, and we just went out to dinner with my grandparents in the city. She had plans with her friends all weekend to celebrate it, doing whatever it is that sixteen-year-old's did for their birthdays.

I turned the stove off and put my pancakes on a plate. I got out some butter, the bottle of syrup, and a glass to fill with juice. While doing all those things, the front door opened and I didn't really pause to think about it.

"Honey! I'm home!" A familiar voice shouted, then the door shut.

"Hi hun," I smirked to myself.

"It smells delicious! I hope you made me something," Justin came waltzing into the kitchen with a smile.

"Indeed I did. There are some leftovers," I nodded to the extra pancakes on the counter.

"Awesome. Love you," he grinned.

I chuckled to myself and sat down at the table, while Justin got out a plate for his breakfast. He joined me a minute later with a plate piled high with a few pancakes, drenched messily in butter and syrup. 

"What are you up to?" I asked him, biting into my fluffy pancake forkful.

"Eh, nothing. I was bored and you're always alone and making food, so I figured I'd pay you a visit," he smiled.

"Well thanks. I could use the company," I smirked.

We ate our breakfast together in peace and afterwards, we curled up on the couch in my living room and watched random morning TV shows. 

It was nothing different than any other day in the summer. Having my best friend only a couple of houses down from me meant that he popped over whenever he wanted. But like I said, I never minded because I hated being alone. I'd gladly welcome Justin in my house any time, any day. 

"So when are you going on vacation with Chase?" He asked randomly.

"We're leaving Saturday night," I nodded. "It should be fun. He wants to have a party and invite everyone, like all you guys. And Grayson will probably have his friends over too."

"Cool," he nodded too, turning back to the TV. "What do you want to do today?"

"I don't know," I shrugged. "I still have to pack."

"You haven't packed yet?" He raised an eyebrow, chuckling at me.

"I know," I laughed and shook my head. "I'm lazy, okay? Accept me for who I am."

"I do," he nodded, still laughing.

I pushed myself off of the couch and stretched my arms, turning to him. "I'm gonna make coffee, want any?" I offered.

"Sure," he said as he reached for the remote to change the channel. I nodded and walked to the kitchen, finding Melissa in there. She was sitting at the table, eating her pancakes and typing quickly on her phone.