Chapter 15

Sophie's Pov

I opened my eyes to see Carlos wriggling about. My back ached to high heaven, my left leg was dead and I had a jarred my neck.

Remind me to make Carlos sleep on the sofa...

I sat up and looked over at him. He was awake for sure. He sat up, ran his hand through his hair and looked over at me, a scowl on his face. I could feel the tears starting to form in my eyes as I realised last night had actually happened. I didn't want him to see me cry, so when the tears fell I ran off to the bathroom.

As I was in there I decided to have a shower. As I stepped out I could hear some inaudible talking, a few moans and then silence. So I finished drying myself, threw my clothes on and walked out, thinking whoever it was would have gone. But I got a shock.

"What the?" I said, stunned at the fact Carmen Jorda was naked and straddling my also naked ex. I mean, I couldn't really call him my boyfriend now. Not after the night before.

"Carlos! You said she had left!" Carmen practically shouted.

"I...," he stuttered.

"No. You didn't?" I said, looking him dead in the eyes.

"Chica I'm-" he started.

"No, I don't want to hear it," I said, walking out of the room with my bag, running towards the lift. After a few moments of frantically pressing the down button I was tapped lightly on the back. It may have been lightly but it scared the living daylights out of me. I turned around to see Daniel and Jemma. But they seemed hazy. My chest became heavy as I began struggling to breathe.

"Oh, oh, oh, it's okay," Daniel said, sitting me down on the floor and rubbing my back as I started coming back to normal.

"I'm...sorry..." I panted.

"What's wrong? You can tell me," he said, still rubbing my back.

"Carlos and I...we're no longer....we're no longer a going concern," I said, hot tears streaming down my face.

"Oh...I won't push, come on, let's get you down to Toro Rosso. Jem, come on," he said, holding his hand out to her.

***

Instead of being on Carlos' side of the garage I spent the pre-race on Max's. I was throwing a ball for him to kick back and me to catch. Throw. Kick. Catch. Throw. Kick. Catch. Max kicked one slightly to hard, too hard for me to catch. It landed close to Carlos. He picked it up, walked over to me and gently put it in my hand. After a quick look into his glassy hazel eyes, he walked off and began getting into the car.

"You should start getting ready too," I said to the youngster.

"You're right," he said, smiling before bending down and lightly placing a kiss on my lips. I jumped back, noticeably shocked. "Sorry," he said, looking upset.

"Don't be, go out there and drive a good race," I smiled, ruffling his hair. I went and took my usual seat on Carlos' side of the garage.

***

Max was in last place. Carlos 13th. Neither drove a decent race. But the flight home was to be awkward.

Carlos' POV 

It was a pretty awful race. There was way too much going on in my mind to concentrate.

"So Carlos, how do you feel the race went?" I was asked.

"It didn't go as well as I would have hoped, there were two safety cars which were certainly a hindrance. There was a lot going on in my mind which I should have been able to put out of my mind but I'll be coming back next race to get some points," I said.

"And how do you feel the season as gone so far?"

"For my rookie season I feel as if it has gone well. I mean, I've earned points in my first few races, no? I can't wait to jump back in the car at my home race so that I can make the home fans proud,"

***

I was ignored the entire flight home. Even at home I was still ignored.

Sophie was upstairs, unpacking when I walked in I saw her placing clothes into her suitcase.

"Chica?" I said, bending down beside her.

"Don't," she snapped, standing up and looking into the mirror.

"Sophie...what can I do?" I asked.

"Nothing. Carlos...I can't do this," she said, breaking down in my arms.

"Chica? Chica, what do you mean?" I asked, starting to panic.

"I think...I think it's time I go." She said, pulling away and walking down the stairs. She skipped her shoes and coat on before grabbing her car keys. "I love you," she said, holding my face gingerly. She lightly placed her lips on mine. One last sweet kiss. I didn't try to stop her leaving.

As the sound of her car became distant I pushed everything off the coffee table. All our photos smashing. I picked one up, cutting my hand on the broken shards of glass. But I didn't care. It was a photo of us on New Year's Eve under a sky of fireworks. I was on one knee as she looked at the camera in mock surprise. I was pretending to propose to her. We'd always fantasised about getting married but now it wouldn't happen.

She's really gone...