Chapter 8

Sophie's POV

I was up way before Bethany bi was so excited for the race that I was a whole hour early. When I deceived that it was a suitable time I woke Bethany up. A challenge in itself.

"Beth?"

She didn't stir.

"Bethany!!" I shouted. She woke up, jumped and fell out of the bed.

"What was that for?!"

"Do you want to miss Carlos?"

"No! But it's early!"

"You can sleep, but it's F1 time! Just 10 minutes until lights out!"

So Carlos, how do you feel going into this race?

I've got my racing head on and I'm ready to tackle any challenge that comes my way.

Great to hear. Good luck.

It was soon time for the race to start. I genuinely couldn't wait. All my thoughts were on Carlos having a good race and finishing in the points. I wanted him to finish in front of Max, you're only judged against your teammate.

His getaway wasn't as good as it could have been. Okay, it was awful. He lost three places and had to fight to get them back. He was pushing the car so much. Too much for my liking. I was really hoping he didn't cause injury to himself.

"What's going on?" Bethany asked, spying the safety car.

"Pastor and Marcus just crashed. It's given Carlos the chance to catch up to Daniil, though"

"Where's Hulkie?"

"Hulkie? Seriously?"

"Yes! Where is he?!"

"P14. You know their car isn't good, right?"

"True, but he's good looking"

"I'll agree with you on that one, but Carlos has my heart"

"I guessed that!"

***

After around half an hour there was another safety car. Button had stopped on track and Alonso had to pit.

"Ugh. Not another safety car" Bethany complained.

"Yes, another. But this is down to the McLarens. Man their reliability is bad"

"It seems it. Wheres Carlos?"

"Still behind Daniil" I sighed. I knew that he probably wouldn't make it past"

***

Carlos an amazing restart. He was all over the back of Kvyat.

"He's ready! Watch, Beth!"

"Overtake time?"

"Oh my God! He's going for it! Down the inside! He's done it! He did it! More points!" I shouted. If I was alone I would have shouted so much louder.

Carlos' POV

"Yes then Carlos! Thats P8! Thats P8! Very well done, mate!"

I should have been happy to get points, but I still didn't finish in front of max. You get judged on your teammate, not the drivers around you.

He was so happy, getting back to the garage, smiling and jumping around. I'd be the same if I had finished P7. I know I should be happy with whatever points finish I get, but he kept beating me.

"So Carlos, that was a good race for you, how happy are the team with a double points finish?"

"The team are thrilled"

"Do you think you could have finished in front of max?"

"Maybe. My tyres were gone though, so I don't think I'd have had the chance"

***

I was so happy to be back in Spain.

I quietly opened the door and went upstairs. I could unpack later. The smell of rich, Belgium chocolate drifted into my nose as I went into the living room. Sophie was making brownies.

I crept behind her and held her by the waist as she finished up mixing everything together. I quietly kissed her neck, nibbling at it slightly with each kiss.

****

"I don't know how to tell you this...you've got to promise that you'll understand and that you'll not hate me

"Chica! How could I ever hate you? I promise I'll understand"

"Well...you know the baby"

"Yes"

"I...I think it's too early for us...we're still so young. Too young to have a baby. Too young to start a family. So...I aborted it"

I couldn't say anything. I just stared at her.

"You did what?!"

"I aborted the baby"

I didn't care that she was crying. I didn't care how she felt. I just grabbed my shoes and car keys and headed for the door.

I sat in my car and revved the engine. But I couldn't accelerate. Sophie stood in front of the car with her hands on the bonnet. I didn't care. I just carried on revving the engine...