Chapter 2

Sophie's POV

I woke up very early that morning. I couldn't feel the warmth that I was used to. I actually had my arms out in the way I did when we had cuddled at night. It felt like torture. 

After a few moments, my phone started to ring.

"Hello?" I said, my sleepy tone very strong.

"Hola chica" My Spanish boy said.

"Hola Chico!" I said, practically screaming it down the phone.

"I take it you're excited to hear from me!" 

"Yes! Is your WiFi good enough to facetime?"

"Yeah, I'll see you in a moment"

I was so excited to be able to see my boy again. As soon as it started ringing, I picked it up.

"Well chica, you're excited!"

"Yes I am, Carlos! I miss you so much. I woke up with my arms in the position we cuddle in"

"Aww! I've missed you too, but I'm keeping myself occupied. What time is it in Madrid, chica?"

"It's...half past six in the morning"

"I'm so sorry! I forgot about the time difference!"

"What are you doing?" A voice said in the background. I recognised it a little.

"Not much, Max, Just talking to my girlfriend before FP1 and 2 start"

"Miss her?"

"A lot. You'll understand when you get a girl. Well, when you're old enough!" He teased.

I giggled at their friendly banter.

"Chica, this is Max. Max, Sophie, Sophie, Max"

"Hi Max" I smiled.

"Hi Sophie. You're very pretty" Max smiled back.

"Hold off youngster! That gorgeously amazing beautiful Spanish girl is mine!"

"Okay, okay" He smiled, putting his hands up and backing off.

"Carlos! Ready to get in the car?" Someone asked.

"I am Tabatha!  I'll just finish my chat!"

"Okay, be quick!"

"PR" He smiled "I'm really sorry babe, car time! You don't have to watch, I know how early it is"

"I'll watch. Have fun chico! Love you!"

"goodbye Chica! Love you!"

And with that, I was alone again. 

Carlos' POV

The chat with my girl made me realise how much I missed her. But, once the helmet goes on, everything else is in the back of your mind. 

I was enjoying my first weekend in F1. My teammate was hilarious, my boss was amazing and the car seemed pretty good. First up was FP1.

"Ready, Max?" I asked as he walked next to me.

"A little nervous but pretty excited"

"Me too, it'll be great to get back in the car"

"It's a lot faster than F3"

"You don't sat" I laughed. I clapped him on the shoulders as I threw my helmet on and got into the car. 

***

"Well done, Carlos. That's P4, that's P4, very well done. Very impressed, mate" My race engineer said. I couldn't quite believe I had just gotten P4 and Max was P6.

Man, this is going to be a good year...

***

P4! Well done chico! Xxxxxxxx

Did that just happen?! I'm speechless chica! Xxxxxx

Go and rest! Get ready for FP2! Xxxxxx

I miss you! I'll be home soon! Xxxxx

Go! Rest! Now! Xxxxxxx

Okay! I'll text you later! Xxxxxx

Bye my love! Xxxxxx

"Tell me your secret!" Max said as we ate lunch.

"I'm not sure! I just went all out!"

"I might have to do the same"

"So you weren't trying hard?!"

"I was...just not my best..."

"Well, P4 and 6 at this point is great! Especially with the Renault engine"

"True"

***

FP2 went just as well as the first did.  P7 was where I finished. It was worth all the energy that I put into that fast lap.

"You still coming for dinner?" Fernando asked as he grabbed me in the paddock.

"Sure. You going now?"

"Yeah we are"

***

"Australian steak and grill houses are amazing! Especially this one!" Roberto raved as we were served our food. 

"Who's that on your phone background?" Fernando asked.

I blushed.

"My girlfriend"

"Since when?!"

"Two months ago" I smiled.

"Aww! I'm happy for you, Carlos!" Carmen smiled.

"Thanks guys"

***

The night was great. As soon as I got back in I went to sleep.

Sophie's POV

I was preparing myself for Sunday. Not because of the race, but because I had to look after a one and fourteen year old.

I'm a nanny, not a bloody childminder. I've never had anyone over seven...

There was an interview on the TV with Carlos. Just watching it made me miss him. I sat on the sofa with tears in my eyes.

There was a photo on the coffee table in a cute frame of us in England, where we met. We had our arms around each other, him kissing the side of my head as I held him close.

"I miss you" I whispered to myself, holding the photo close to me and crying.