Chapter 18: Love & Memories

Start from the beginning

She got up and moved to the back of the room where a tall desk was and a vintage cash register which fit the store perfectly. Seriously, why isn't this place more popular? It's a calling for all teenage girls using Tumblr. The women with grey-white hair ducked under the desk and popped up slowly a few seconds later, but this time with a book in hand. She walked over to me, smiling. The book was old and had a leather cover. I couldn't tell what it was, but I knew it must have been special if it wasn't even on the shelves of the store.

"Here, try this one." she handed it to me and I took it from her carefully. I brushed my fingers over the small leather engravings on the cover and read the words that were printed: Emma by Jane Austen. Did this lady really think that just because I had the same name as the book that I would instantly like it? I hope not, because I am quite picky with books and I will not be reading this if it's just some way for her to charge me double the price, calling it a 'limited edition'.

I opened the book to the first page of words and began to read. I quickly learned that this Emma girl was surrounded by people in love and longed for her own. Sure, that makes for an interesting. But it's not entirely relating to me. I have plenty of friends in love, but I'm not dying to find it. But then again, I have been feeling the need for it recently.

Given that I had found nothing else in the store and I wanted to walk away with at least one souvenir from Paris, I smiled at the old lady, signalling that I would take the book. I began to reach for my wallet out of my purse but I felt her bony hand touch my arm and my head shot up to look at her. "Please, take it." she smiled genuinely at me. I felt a grin form on my face as I slid the book into my bag and close it quickly. I thanked the woman just before Marlee got up from the floor, ready to buy her two books that she had spent the entire time reading.

"Did you find anything fun, Em?" she asked me as we walked out of the store. "I found something" I smiled, "but I think it will be good." she nodded and we continued walking back into the busy city. "Ooh, wanna get some ice cream?" Marlee asked as a cute cafe came into view. The sign read Berthillion, which I head read about being a great ice cream retailer. Obviously Marlee knew that too as she began to quicken her pace as the cute shop came into view. There were many people outside, enjoying their frozen treats, but the line was still quite long. As in going out the door quite long. It's as if this was the only place in Paris to get ice cream. I would've suggested skipping it, but I didn't want to face the wrath of an angry Marlee. She was just like Niall in that they both loved good found and would pout for the rest of the day if they didn't get it. Two peas in a pod, I'd say.

The line was moving slowly and I was getting bored, so I decided to take out the heavy book in my bag and start reading it. I'll admit, I am a fast reader, but on occasion, I'll stop and take my time on a page or two. The plot was beginning to develop as the character Emma was portrayed as a matchmaker, constantly trying to find love for others, neglecting herself. I'll admit, I have done this once or twice, but never as much as her. Maybe there was some deeper meaning I needed to understand. Oh well, I'll figure that out when I'm not shoulder to shoulder with a hairy french man standing in front of us.

The story goes on and Emma finds a man named Elton whom as taking a liking to her, as she has to him. But of course, her dear friend Mr. Knightely butts in and kicks him out of the picture. Hmm, this part definitely sound familiar! I was just getting into the story when we got to the front of the line and I had to set it down so I could order.

Minutes later, my cone of strawberry and Marlee's cone of chocolate were ready and we were walking out of the store, liking our desserts in delight. I guess I'm glad I stood in that line: I got to read some and enjoy a sweet ice cream. Note to self: let Marlee choose destinations, but bring a book for entertainment.