Nazis

I was playing in Haya's room with Ewa and Fayge, we were not allowed to leave in case the nazis came. I heard Haya shriek " Little Kotek hide!! HURRY!!!" I picked up Fayge with one arm and grabbed Ewa with my other. We scrambled into my cousins closet and closed the door behind us. I pulled back the board and shoved them inside before going in myself, putting the board back in position. We all then lowered ourselves into the pit. My sisters never questioned my actions, they knew what was happening. Reuven was young enough to be exempted for deportation to the east. We heard pounding on the door " Öffnen sie die tür juden, open the door Jews! Schnell, Quickly!!" Fayge whimpered so clamped my hand over her mouth. The nazis were shouting "Ihre kinder, wo Ihre kinder Jude hündin sind, your children, where are your children jew bitch?!!" I flinched at the German's insult. Mamusiu didn't deserve that. I heard them stomping up the stairs, my sisters started shaking furiously. I heard Mamusiu "I sent my older children to the market with their father, my girls are not her Mein Herr." There was a silence then they opened Haya's closet. I heard the move the clothes around then they shut the door. "Der junge, wie alt ist der junge Frau!!?" "He is one and my niece is sixteen Mein Herr." Mamusiu's voice was calm. They then walked out of the room and out the door. We had to wait in the hiding place for three days in case they came back. They came back no less than six times.

When we were allowed to come out Mamusiu and Haya nearly crushed us in a bear hug. Tears were threatening to pour down their cheeks. Suddenly Mamusiu took of her saphire studded floral brooch, a very old family heirloom, placed it in a small box,then put it in our hiding place before replacing the board. "Those monsters will have to kill me before I surrender one of my most precious belonging," Then she turned to face me and my sisters,"Girls, no one must know you are here, you absolutely can not go out, be near any windows, or shout loudly, do you understand me! she firmly stated. Without waiting for a reply she turned sharply and walked out of the room. "Sister,"Fayge's voice was shaky,"Why do the bad men want to hurt us, is it my fault?" I was shocked she would even think this. "Fayge, never even think it is your fault, it is the fault of the nazis, they have no regard for human life, they want to hurt us because we are Jewish. But being jewish is not bad at all. These men have been brain washed by a madman called Hitler." " I think I understand Katarzyna," she then left the room. Five year old Ewa turned to face me, "She is only three, she couldn't really understand, I don't either." she enveloped my in a hug and buried her face in my chest. I held her tight as she cried in my arms.