Fur and hiding places.

"Tate(dad), what are you doing?" I asked as my Tate was grabbing my fur coat with his free hand. In his other hand, he held a large pair of sewing scissors. " I'm sorry meyn sheyn bisl Katarzina, my pretty little Katarzyna, Jews can't be seen with fur." he explained as he tore at the seams of the jacket's fur lining. I thought this was ridiculous it's my coat. Two years ago Tate acquired fur and a length of fabric in three colors. He paid a seamstress to turn them into the most magnificent coats for me Haya, Mamusiu. He gave them to us at Hanukah, a rust-colored coat for Mamusiu, yellow for Haya, and sky blue for me. " But Tate it's mine and it must have been expensive," I argued. Tate smiled warmly and pushed his red-brown hair out of his eyes. " I know it's yours little one but the Nazis won't care. Besides after this is all over I will get you a lovely new fur coat. Just like this one if you'd like." I smiled "Okay Tate" " For now, Katarzyna, your Mamusiu can easily sew in a fleece lining, so we can still use it," he said as he reached for Haya's coat.

I was horrified at what Tate was doing to those beautiful coats, however, I believe it was necessary. I then heard Haya call out for me " I'm coming, Haya!" I yelled as I climbed up the stairs and walked into her room. " What do you need?" " Little Kotek come with me," she said as she led me into her closet. When we were in there she went over to the wall and pulled back a loose board revealing a narrow space and crawled in. " Careful when you come in, there a pit you have to drop down in." Confused I crawled in the space. A few feet in front of me there was the edge of a large pit that Haya was already in. In this space was bottled water, blankets, and bread. " This is a hiding place Aunt Olga prepared. She has heard from sources that the Nazis plan to round up children over 2 and under thirteen. I keep watch from my room. When you hear me yell that they are coming you will bring Ewa and Fayge here." " But what if they find us, the nazis will kill us all" I sobbed. I didn't want anyone to die! Haya smiled gently, "Little Kotek, no matter what you must make sure that your sisters don't make a sound," she told me. I don't know how I could do that, Fayge is only three and Ewa's not yet five. As we exited the hiding place. I began to feel anxious. Haya led me out of her closet and faced me. " Little Kotek, you understand what will happen if the nazis find you right?" She inquired. I nodded, it meant death. Not just for me and my sisters, but for my entire family for attempting to hide us.
      Me and Haya spent the majority of the morning talking. "You know how Jaroslaw was in the resistance Little Kotek?" I nodded. "Well," she continued, "I knew that even before the Nazis caught up to him. He was going to help bomb their storehouse,..for ...to avenge Edit's death." I just stared at her. "He was the only gentile that would even look at us, he was still our friend in spite of the laws. We arranged to meet every day at night in my spot in the woods!" "Haya," I scolded, "You could have been killed!" "Don't you think I knew that?" She said evenly.
         "Then that...that bitch Zofia Noga somehow found out about Jaroslaw's plans and reported straight to the Gestapo. I am lucky she is not as anti-Semitic as the Nazis or she would have reported me as well." "Why are you telling me this Haya?" She played with her light brown braids, "I don't know Katarzyna, I think I just needed to tell someone, I could never tell Aunt Olga. I trust you enough to tell you anything. I consider you my sister after all!
       I felt wonderful, "Really," I asked. Haya laughed, "Of course silly. Who couldn't love you as a sister? You are sweet and kind and very pretty!" I smiled gratefully and Haya giggled. It's times like these when I can forget about this horrible war.