Chapter Two: New Mission

I love that picture. So cute!!

So what I'm thinking for this story is a new update every Friday, as I already have several chapters completed and it's moving rather quickly. Without further ado, here's the new chapter!

Enjoy!

The guild hall was fairly quiet when he arrived the following morning, but it was early. His incessant thinking had kept him from sleeping for a few hours. Gray and Erza were already awake, so he plopped down at their table with a yawn.

"Good morning, Natsu," said Erza with a smile. "You're certainly up early."

"Couldn't sleep," he replied, resting his hands behind his head.

"Where's Happy?" Gray spoke up, glancing around.

"He was still asleep when I left." He paused, and his stomach growled. "Ugh, I'm starving," he muttered.

"Then go get something to eat," said Gray.

"You know what, I think I will."

By the time he finished, Happy had joined them, as had Wendy and Carla. But the guild was still too quiet. Normally there was a brawl going on at this point, or at the very least an argument. Maybe it was just the lack of people - Team Shadowgear, Gajeel and Pantherlily, and the Thunder Legion were all out on jobs. Macao and Romeo hadn't shown up yet. Wakaba wasn't there. The Strauss siblings were running errands. Everyone else wasn't talking much. And Natsu didn't like it. "Ugh, I'm bored," he groaned.

"You are just full of complaints today," muttered Erza.

"Whatcha readin'?" He slung an arm over her shoulder, looking at the book. The text was tiny, and truth be told, he was already disinterested.

"Something you wouldn't care about," said Erza coolly.

"If you're so bored, then go find a job," Gray snapped.

"It's your turn, ice-for-brains," Natsu shot back.

The two butted heads. "What did you call me?" the ice-make wizard said dangerously.

"Would you two just cut it out?" Wendy groaned.

Erza closed her book with a snap, standing, and immediately the two separated. "Since neither of you two will, I'll go pick a job."

"No, no," said Gray quickly. "I- I got it." Without another word, he stalked away to the request board. Natsu didn't blame him - Erza always seemed to pick the hardest jobs. Then again, she was S-Class.

"Where is Lucy?" Natsu muttered, turning to the door. She was always here by now.

"She's probably just sleeping," said Wendy reasonably.

"This late?"

"Relax, Natsu, she'll be here soon."

There was a look in Wendy's eye that Natsu didn't really like, almost knowing. He swore he saw the corner of her mouth turn up in a smile, but she looked away quickly. Carla met her glance, and raised an eyebrow.

"What?" he said.

"Nothing," the girl and Exceed said in unison.

"Sure," he muttered.

"You like her," a voice whispered in his ear.

"I do not!" he shouted, way too defensively. Happy burst out laughing.

"Hey, I think I found something." Gray returned, a request in hand. He handed it to Natsu, who was closest, but the dragon slayer didn't look at it too hard as Gray explained. "Apparently there's some weird epidemic spreading around a small town nearby. They're convinced it has something to do with magic, because it's even affecting the plants. Nothing they've tried works. It's already taken half of the town, so they need help as quickly as they can get it."