Chapter One: A History Lesson For Little Pup

These works are copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. This includes all chapters, prologues/epilogues and associated content (i.e fanfics, teasers and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders). Any unauthorised copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law.

______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter One A History Lesson for Little Pup

"Warrick," he heard his father call as he tiptoed down the stairs.

"Dammit!" He thought to himself, looking first at the temptation posed by the front door and then at the hall leading towards his dad's study. Without a second thought, he continued tiptoeing towards the door and freedom. Just as he had placed his hand on the doorknob, he froze, hearing a chilling voice just behind him.

"Warrick Aibne Mungo!" The voice was quietly menacing. "Were you just going to ignore me and leave?" Then after about three seconds of silence, "Answer me!"

Immediately snatching his hand away from the knob, Warrick straightened and turned around. The power of the Alpha Rex tone is ineffective against those with the Alpha Rex gene, and he had long ago learned how to be creative with the truth and avoid disappointing his parents. "No. No! Of course not. I just thought I heard someone at the door." People were always coming and going from the Pack House, and he actually had heard someone pulling into the drive just as he reached the door. With any luck this partial truth, plus the Alpha Rex gene, would get him out of trouble.

Watching the harsh frown disappear from his father's face, Warrick silently congratulated himself on his rather brilliant falsehood, which might get him out of yet another lecture on "authority" and "respect" during the last month of summer before his senior year in college.

Just then, someone tapped at the front door with what sounded like a foot. He swung the door open and cringed. "Hi Mom. Let me take those for you," he said, hastily relieving the grocery bags that concealed even her face, and making a break for the kitchen before his father could chide him for making his mother wait outside.

********

"Are you in trouble again, Little Pup?" teased Stephen, when Warrick arrived in the kitchen.

Warrick snorted, dropping the grocery bags onto the kitchen island and walking over to stand closer, forcing Stephen to raise his eyes. Weres with the Alpha gene topped out at about 6'5", like Stephen, but the Alpha Rex normally averaged around seven feet, like their father. Warrick was something altogether different. "Little Pup?" he asked, quirking a brow. He palmed the top of his eldest brother's head from where he towered above, intentionally making a mess of his ever neat brother's hair.

"Hey!" Stephen protested, smoothing his hair down and turning to begin emptying one of the bags. "I still don't understand why Mom insists on doing this type of thing by herself. I mean, she could have any member of this pack...any or the packs, really. Working in this household would be an honor."

"It's the same reason why we have always had to make our own beds, the same reason we live in a pack house, and only work at the Palace," Warrick stated, placing the milk inside the refrigerator.

"Omegas work in the palace, not in my kitchen," they finished together, laughing.

"Warrick!" called their father.

His smile disappeared abruptly, as his head turned swiftly towards the door.

"Go on," Stephen told him. "I'll finish up here."