Chapter Five: A Little Boredom

These works are copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. This includes all chapters, prologues/epilogues and associated content (i.e fanfics, teasers and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders). Any unauthorised copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law.

_________________________________________

Chapter Five: A Little Boredom

Talvel Compound

Uther Talvel gave a sigh of contentment as he gazed out over the beauty of the pack lands. The panoramic view available from the back deck of the pack house was not marred by the 5:00 a.m. darkness, since his wolf sight allowed him to see as though it was fully daylight. He had heard some scurrying about inside, and assumed it to be the omegas, getting ready for breakfast. Uther sipped his coffee, taking in this rare opportunity for peaceful solitude on this clear Georgia morning. He felt his mate beginning to stir and turned to re-enter the open house, his mind already on the plate that he would make for his heavily pregnant wife before returning upstairs to keep her company while he did paperwork. As he crossed the threshold, something collided with his lower body, sending his feet out from under him and resulting in a resounding crash that brought the sound of pack members running from all over the house, to defend against the attack. He fought for composure, knowing what he would find, even before he looked down.

Thandie’s eyes were huge in her smooth brown face, as they stared at her Alpha, the dense halo of black curls surrounding her face was as gravity defying as ever. She quickly calculated how she might get away from this situation without suffering humiliation, and each scenario brought her to an inevitable conclusion: she was toast.

“Alfie?” she asked in an uncertain tone, awaiting his judgment as pack members in various states of undress, including her parents, now stood silently, awaiting his response.

Uther looked around, fighting not to laugh as he saw one muscled, stern Enforcer in Tweety Bird boxers, while another still sported soap in his wet hair and wore what appeared to be his wife’s robe. He cleared his throat at the latter, gesturing downward with his head. The poor man grabbed one side of the robe, pulling it across himself and leaving the room in the most dignified manner possible for a man with half his ass hanging out.

“What were you doing Didi?” he asked patiently, rising from the floor and then helping her to stand, before catching her in his arms as she again tried to perform a perfect face plant. Seeing the in-line skates on her feet, he sent a quick prayer heavenwards that she had not gone near a flight of stairs and carried her to a nearby bench.

As he began to remove the skates, she began, “Well, you know that I have recently tried the hula hoop, the bicycle, the jump rope and pogo stick and the, er, yo-yo?” She watched as he cringed with each successive failed “experiment” that she mentioned. With the last, his brow furrowed heavily as he looked at the newly installed, two story picture window over her shoulder. She had not been standing that close to the window. If only the manufacturer had been accurate in its description of the string’s measurements, or maybe if she hadn’t been so caught up in learning “around the world” that she never experimented to determine the accuracy of the manufacturer’s claims…”

“Yes, I remember them. Go on,” prompted Uther, seeing that she was “stuck.” That was the pack’s word for when she became lost in thought, turning her focus entirely inward.

“Well, those didn’t work out too well, and so I thought, ‘I haven’t tried skating yet! The back foyer has these smooth hardwood floors, and the omegas just sanded and polished them last night. I took some lessons on Youtube, and it seemed straightforward enough. It was so early, and no one is usually up and about, so, I decided to try. It was going great, but then I started to lose my balance. And I forgot how to stop. Then you came in and…well.”