A New Life (Epilogue)

Credit to the book 'Elsewhere' as I did work a few of these ideas from that book in this afterlife part.

William had explained the whole process to them. When you got to here, everyone would continue age (if they wanted to continue with their lives here).

If not, they could go backwards. Then when they were a baby again and ready to be reborn, they would get swaddled and sent down the stream.

Dan and Phil wanted to stay together for as long as they could be, so they chose to go forward. Phil explained to William that they were engaged but had both died before the wedding.

He grinned at them and clapped his hands together. "Yay! I haven't been able to plan a wedding in ages... Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"Would you like to be our wedding planner?" Dan asked. "We sure do need one now."

William was thrilled. In all of his 132 years, William had only gotten the chance to plan a wedding a few select times.

*one year later*

Dan and Phil are happily married, with a small house all to themselves.

"Look," Dan said excitedly, pointing out the window. "There's more clouds coming!"

"Dan, the clouds come everyday," Phil chuckled, kissing the top of his head. They were currently sat on their couch, Dan in Phil's arms and their legs tangling together.

Dan quickly frowned, jumping to look out the window. He grabbed Phil's hand and ran outside.

"Linda!" He shouted when they got to the drop off. "Why are there so many children?"

"A bunch of them died at the hospitals. There's some disease or something. I don't know. Really nothing we can do about it," she shrugged.

Dan recognised one of the little boys from the hospital. When he was trying to find the morgue. He stumbled off the cloud, looking around frightened as Riley directed them to William's room where they could learn about where they were and what had happened. His arms were wrapped to his chest, the faint memory of a teddy bear pulling at the boy's mind.

The children, it seemed, could never remember anything. Not even their names. They had no idea where they were and couldn't remember their old lives or families. At least, not until their families showed up here too.

It was a shame when the children arrived. William and Linda had set up many homes for the children so they could play and well be children. They would usually set the clock backwards so they could live a better life after their rebirthing. Unless their families were here and wanted them to stay with them or they got adopted. Which was unlikely, sadly.

"Phil," Dan turned to him and looked him in the eyes. "I want kids."

Phil practically choked on the air. "What?! Dan, a child is a lot of work." But when he looked at Dan and his pleading face, Phil knew he wanted a family with Dan. "Linda," he called her back over.

"What? I need to get them through their checkups so make it quick."

"Would it be possible for us to adopt?"

Linda smiled, "Are you planning to?"

Dan and Phil nodded simultaneously.

Linda had become a good friend of Dan and Phil's. She was married to William and together, with the help of their daughter Riley, they took in the new cloud people and animals.